LED Downlights for 5508?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Nov 8, 2020.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Some years back I did a detailed report here on what LED DL's worked best with the 5508 dimmer. At the time Pierlite were the clear winners using the Diginet drivers. 6 years on they have not missed a beat. From memeory that job used about 70 DL's.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on DL for the 5508 these days? Basically approx 10 watts 3k/4k/6k switchable would be nice. Ideally given the ceiling is cathedral the DL are able to have insulation sitting on top. White, 90mm cut out....

Just checking if someone has recently done some upper level research and can recommend?

Cheers,
    Ian

fleetz, Nov 8, 2020
  2. fleetz

Conformist

Hi Ian

Like you, I've tested a lot of downlights on C-Bus dimmers. Until recently, my go-to was the Haneco Viva-110 multi. Within the last 3-4 months, they've clearly changed components and I now find instances where they flicker between 60-80% level on some circuits. That is, I've typically seen issues where 2 or 4 are connected to a dimmer. I'm now using the Voltex Monaco and have had on issues. I recently replaced 119 in one C-Bus installation and the only problem I experienced was the need for a 31CAP when there was a single light on a dimmer. The 31CAP had to go next to the load (not on the dimmer) to get it to work. I've tested on the universal, 1A dimmer and the D750 all with positive results and no flicker.

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Nov 9, 2020
  3. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

Frustrating when they change components and or design during the life cycle of a product. Thanks for the heads up on the Haneco, was thinking about ordering a couple to try but now canned that idea.

Will look into the Voltex Monaco and give them a spin.

Last time I was a big fan of the Pierlite because of the Diginet drivers. It’s all about the driver, seems the downlights is not a focus for Pierlite.

Thanks again for feedback.

Regards,

Ian

fleetz, Nov 9, 2020
    Conformist likes this.
  4. fleetz

fleetz

Unfortunately won’t be trying the Voltex Monaco’s out, contacted them and not having a licence put pays to that. I detailed my electronic engineering qualifications and experience that 48 year has afforded me and no go.

Even threw in I’m C-Bus trained, hold and Open Cable licence and am qualified to engineer, design and technically operate a TV Broadcast Station and I can’t purchase a LED downlights that plugs into a 413 socket! Hilarious....

Oh well Voltex lose and I continue my search.

Thanks again Chris for pointing their product out I know with your recommendation they would have done the job for my current project.

fleetz, Nov 17, 2020
    Mr Mark likes this.
  5. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

Fleetz and others - drivers that will work fine with C-Bus are the Inlite HERO XP range.

There are 3 lamps in that range. The available phase dimmable driver is specifically designed for operation with both LEADING and TRAILING edge phase dimming. The driver is tested on C-Bus dimmers, you will need 2 or more of them on a dimming channel.

To make them easier to find: https://www.inlite.com.au/products/search?keywords=hero+xp&s=1

ashleigh, Jan 23, 2022
    Damaxx likes this.
Ask a Question