LED dimmable globes compatible with Clipsal C-Bus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim2611, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Jim2611

Jim2611

Hi, I moved into a house with a C-Bus 2 system. The downlights are halogens. I'm trying to find brands of compatible LEDs which are dimmable with the C-Bus 2 system. I phoned Clipsal/Schneider tech support and they won't recommend a suitable dimmable LED globe. I suspect they won't because they don't want to be held accountable for the recommendation should it fail. The tech person said I'd have to buy dimmable LED globes and try them out to see if they work. I know this has been a topic in the past but I'm wondering if there have been technical developments with LED dimmable globes to make them C-Bus compatible? I've been told the NSW government will, in the future, request that halogen globes not be sold.

Jim2611, Sep 8, 2021
  2. Jim2611

DarylMc

My advice is to engage someone who has experience with CBus to come to your home, do the job and provide some sort of warranty.
    There is so many possible combinations of CBus dimmer types, light fittings per dimmer channel and LED lighting products on the market without specifications it is not a simple matter of naming a product.

DarylMc, Sep 8, 2021
    Jim2611 likes this.
  3. Jim2611

ChanceTran

Hi....On the off chance that you go the low voltage (12V) MR16 course, the 8 channel dimmer that you propose will require an alleged 'iron-center' transformer for each channel, so I would stay with dimmable 240V GU10's that can be darkened utilizing driving edge type dimmers.

One thing you need to check before you purchase - most dimmers have a heap range - for example 30W-200W. There is no base spec. on this 8 channel dimmer - it simply says 1A 220V which is 220W max - worth enquiring as triac stage controlled gadgets get somewhat anxious if the stacking is excessively light - as it likely could be with Led's.

ChanceTran, Oct 21, 2021
    Jim2611 likes this.
Ask a Question