LED Blink function on keypad?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ingo, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Ingo

Ingo

Can a simple 'blink' function be incorporated into a keypad? I want my Kitchen keypad to display the status of the Garage door, if the door is open the key LED must blink and when closed it must go off.

I got this working by assigning a group to a key but without a function, some logic to set the group ON, Delay 1 second and then turn it OFF. This works fine except that the bus is being flooded by ON/OFF messages while the Garage door is open.

If there was a fuction to start a blink funtion in the keypad then there would be one message to start blinking and one to stop blinking. Can this be done???

Ingo

Ingo, Jan 13, 2008
  2. Ingo

filpee

The LED can be set to 'blink' when a timer is running.

Maybe you can somehow use that function?

filpee, Jan 13, 2008
  3. Ingo

Ingo

That's not really visible enough, I need something that will catch my attention at a quick glance. The current 1 second ON and 1 second OFF cadence works well.

Ingo, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Ingo

paulw11

Hi,

According to this thread C-Bus is "flooded" at about 39 messages per second. I am sure that there are a lot of variables in this number, the number of units, the number of networks etc but assuming that you have a typical 1 or 2 network domestic installation 1 message per second is probably not excessive.

Although a human looking at a diagnostic log would see a lot of traffic with a 1Hz flash in reality you are probably a long way from impacting on the C-Bus performance. I guess the real issues is do you notice any problems or slow response from your C-Bus with the flash enabled? If not, then no problem.

Even a 2Hz flash rate might work for you, and you have halved your bus traffic again.

Paul

EDIT: Fixed URL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
    paulw11, Jan 14, 2008
  5. Ingo

Ingo

Hmm... you're right. I just thought I could minimize the traffic and not add to the BUS traffic unnecessarily.

Thanks,
    Ingo

Ingo, Jan 14, 2008
  6. Ingo

cmlp

Hi,

I'm interested in the solution you came up with. Can you explain a bit further about the "some logic"? Was this all done in Toolkit, or do you use a PAC etc?

Chris.

cmlp, Feb 10, 2008
  7. Ingo

ICS-GS

Chris,

Logic of this sort is only on the PAC or touch screens.

ICS-GS, Feb 11, 2008
  8. Ingo

Ingo

Chris,
    Anything with a Logic Engine will work. I use HomeGate. See the code below.

I assigned group 55 to a key on a keypad, the function of the key is unused so it doesn't do anything but blink. The Garage door is monitored by Minder Pro and it gives me zone status information on application 1.

Bye,
    Ingo

Ingo, Feb 12, 2008
  9. Ingo

znelbok

That is an expensive LED you have there. What is the cost of an input off a standard 4 gang key input?

While the philosophy is great, it is a shame about this lack of functionality in the key inputs.

Paulw11
    As for 2Hz halving the traffic compared to 1Hz - doesn't it double it (twice every second compared to once a second). I think you meant 0.5Hz

Mick

znelbok, Feb 13, 2008
  10. Ingo

paulw11

Doh! What he said!

What I meant to say was a 2 second cycle!

Paul

paulw11, Feb 13, 2008
Ask a Question