LDW15 LED downlights?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Jul 19, 2014.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Anyone used the Clipsal LDW15 LED down lights on 5508D1A dimmers?

Be interested in any feedback.

Thanks and regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jul 19, 2014
  2. fleetz

DarylMc

Hi fleetz

I've never heard of those Clipsal LED's but that doesn't mean much.
    Google seems a bit vague too.

My current thoughts on dimming LED's are
    • Only do it if you really have to.
    • Consider whether you can get an acceptable result using a few relays instead.
    • Probably don't install a leading edge dimmer, or at least use the 4 channel version so it's easier to change later.
    • Use LED's from a manufacturer who provides a compatibility list including min and max lamps per channel for the dimmer you are using.
    • Hope that you can still buy a suitable replacement in a few years time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    DarylMc, Jul 21, 2014
  3. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

Tuck away a few spare lamps in a cupboard.

ashleigh, Jul 23, 2014
  4. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Gentlemen for the advise. Sound advise it is too.

Have broadened the net on possible suitable LED for my daughter and SIL's project. Given there will some 60 odd involved (not all dimmed but the majority) I feel compelled to look into and evaluate various brands and models.

Only brands that are reputable and support their products are in the initial cast of the net.

Daryl I agree that manufacturers that list their compatibility with C-Bus including the min max are considered favourably. Thus far I can find only find brands other than Clipsal that are prepared to document compatibility with C-Bus. If some one can point to any Clipsal documented compatibility it I would appreciate it.

http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOnline/Files/Brochures/A0000269.pdf
    mentions dimming but with universal conventional manual dimmer.

http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/Files/Brochures/A0000241.pdf are the only LED's in the Clipsal range that mentions C-Bus compatibility but no min max. Unfortunately the kids don't like the MR16 style of fitting so for the moment are not in the race.

I have and our kids been in direct contact with Clipsal via their Power House display centres and we get from them that the LD series is C-Bus compatible but when pressed can not give details as to min max, dimming performance etc. etc.

Notwithstanding this I have purchased one each of the LD series 11W and 15W models to give them a try on a 5508D1A dimmer channel. Can not directly test the max number but they need to past muster on the min and and overall dimming test first. They get through that I will dig a lot deeper on the max front.

Research has turned up a couple Peirlite models in the style the kids prefer that do have documented C-Bus compatibility with min and max along with the % of dimming range.

So to date I have order 2 Clipsal LD series and 2 Pierlite ECO Lux series to put on the 5508D1A dimming channel rack of torture to try out. I have also a Brightgreen D900 to throw in the evaluation pool which is a spare I have from a project I did here, only thing is they around twice the price of the others I am looking at. That said I am really happy with their performance only here they are not dimmed.

Ashleigh definitely will get some spares and tuck them aside.

Happy to throw more into the evaluation pool if there are any other LED downlights along the styling lines that we are looking at. Whilst it cost a few dollars to run up the various brands and models to test it will provide for some peace of mind with the ultimate decision.

On peace of mind there is a spread of warranties ranging from 3 years to 7 years on the brands mentioned.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Fleetz

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    fleetz, Jul 23, 2014
  5. fleetz

Roosta

Try www.clipsal.com/load hasnt been updated to include the LDW range though..

My understanding is that the LDW are not suitable for CBUS, as they are aimed at the lower end of the market however they are suitable for dimming with a universal clipsal dimmer mech, where as the L9xx range are a more premium product and tested to work happily with CBUS dimming within the constraints as above..

Keep in mind dimming range when looking at downlights and comparing brands..
    Also worth keeping in mind the minimum load that dimmers require to operate correctly, i believe it is usually 10w for 1A LE CBus Dimmers and 20w for 2A LE/UNI CBus Dimmers..

Also it is my understanding that Clipsal will not be offering compatibility lists, etc for any products other than their own product..

Roosta, Jul 24, 2014
  6. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Roosta for the pointer to the load link. I tried to find it before contacting the Power house folks.

Interesting that the Clipsal Power house people claim that they are compatible with the 5508D1A just could not comeback with min max figures. If what you are saying is correct I have wasted $100 odd on samples that will not past muster. :mad:

Past the point of no return on these so I will give them a trial anyway , nothing to loose. If indeed this is the case it is frustrating that some of the Clipsal folks are not across their own products?

I get that Clipsal will not do competitors brands......be nice if they would qualify their own models by keeping the list current.

The quest continues albeit that the field has by the looks of it thinned down.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jul 24, 2014
  7. fleetz

71monaro

I have installed 4 x LDC11WH on a C-Bus LE dimmer channel in dining room. They only adjust 100 to 60% or off. With a very slight high frequency flicker @ 60%, so I have not been dimming, but lot brighter than replaced halogen. I do have a uni dimmer elsewhere, so may move onto that, or just put on a relay channel in other rooms. Would still like find a replacement for Dining room.

71monaro, Jul 24, 2014
  8. fleetz

fleetz

Will post up my findings on the others when I have completed the tests. Won't be for a few weeks thou...

fleetz, Jul 24, 2014
Ask a Question