Latest Go-To LED downlight

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by 71monaro, Aug 18, 2021.

1. 71monaro

71monaro

I know this has been discussed over and over for probably more than a decade. But not in a recent post, with brand/models. Considering the issues with LED dimming on Cbus dimmers and discharges when off, I wish to get an update on what is the latest Go-To 240v LED Downlight? 10 years ago it was the Pierlite Starburst that was best in class if you had a few on a circuit, but not perfect. Every year there has been new models and (hopefully) improvements. So what is the current those installing everyday find give the best/most stable performance?

71monaro, Aug 18, 2021
  2. 71monaro

Conformist

I've been using the Voltex Monaco 9W or about 15 months after my previous 'go to' (Haneco Viva110 multi) stopped playing ball. Haneco changed some aspect the driver and this introduced flickering at certain dimmed level. Still need a load correction device when using only one Monaco on a dimmer channel but have been using the Diginet version as it's about 30% cheaper than the Clipsal one.

Conformist, Aug 18, 2021
  3. 71monaro

Lucky556

Hi Conformist, are you still using the Voltex Monaco ? I note from the data sheet of this LED that is is specified for trailing edge dimming, can I take from this that you are not using these fittings with the standard DIN rail dimmers eg L5508D1A or L5504D2A ???

Lucky556, Jun 23, 2022
  4. 71monaro

Conformist

Hi

Yes, still using them on both standard 1A dimmers and universal dimmers. They work equally well on all C-Bus dimmers

Conformist, Jun 24, 2022
  5. 71monaro

Lucky556

Hi Conformist, thanks for your reply.
    I value your info because I am pretty sure you are one of the older CBussers from the "old days" like myself.
    I am going to buy some of these fittings so just to be sure - is the following info (from the Voltex website) correct for the LED that you are referring to ??
    IDL9T90-W
    Monaco 9W - 90mm IP44 Integrated Driver LED Downlight
    CCT Tricolour - Changeable - 90mm
    Thanks again...

Lucky556, Jun 24, 2022
  6. 71monaro

Lucky556

PS. Lucky 556 is my second profile on these forums. My first profile (lost access to it) was from the days when Duncan and others first kicked off these forums (the good old days).... ;-)

Lucky556, Jun 24, 2022
  7. 71monaro

Conformist

IDL9T90-W is correct.

Yes.. Original C-Busser from circa 1994 (launch) and still installing and repairing, programming, mentoring etc. Welcome back Lucky556

I've tested these downlights connected as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 per channel to look for any issues. Also test levels every 5% to look for flickering or adverse behavior. Conducted the testing and provided a report to Voltex (not a paid for other than them allowing me to keep the 6x downlights I was originally supplied. I've since bought several thousand of them with probably 30% of these going into C-Bus homes.

Only 2 issues (not unique to Voltex downlights).

1. If only 1 downlight on a dimmer channel, some off-state leakage through the dimmer will keep the downlight lit albeit dimly. This is rectified by a load correction device (aka load bypass device). I try to put these at the dimmer but have had couple where they had to go at the load (in the plug-base). I use the Diginet devices as they are better priced and seem to be a better product.

2. This was a weird one. When more than 4 downlights on a universal dimmer channel, downlights won't switch on. Dimmer channel says it's in an over-temperature error but that's not the case. Again, a load correction device seems to fix this issue. It's rare but have seen it twice myself and I know of one other person with the same issue

BTW, 31CAP (other Clipsal phantom load device) does not seem to work very well so I don't waste my time with them anymore.

Hope this helps you and others too :)

Sorry for the delayed reply BTW.. on hols in Bali ATM

Conformist, Jun 25, 2022
  8. 71monaro

Lucky556

Hi Conformist, thank you soooo much for the follow up, especially as you are on holidays at the moment. I have searched high and low for suitable LED downlights to replace my halogens at home. I was due to knock down and rebuild but all that went down the drain during COVID and it turns out that we were lucky it did. We are now resolved to renovating so I will be keeping the original DIN rail gear. I have halogen DL's on DIN rail dimmers that have not been changed since the day they were installed - approximately 18 years ;). My control logic is shared between a Minder and a PAC (showing my age now) I transferred half of the logic from the Minder to the PAC then never got around to transferring the automation that tied into the security system IO. Anyway, thanks for your info, you have saved me a lot of stuffing around. I am really happy to not only get the info that I have been searching for but I got the info from long term CBusser. ;)
    Thanks again - Enjoy Bali - Stay safe...

Lucky556, Jun 25, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  9. 71monaro

jonnyp64

I have installed maybe 150-200 of the Monaco's across 3 jobs and both types of dimmers with zero problem other than the single light bleeding. I personally am not a big fan of the frosted type of downlight ( whatever brand) but i know that they are very popular so i give the customer what they want.
    Does it seem weird to anyone else that people spends thousands of $$$ on a lighting control system that mainly sits behind walls and in cupboards then choose the cheapest lighting option available??
    BTW- use the the SAL Pixie caps for load correction because i have plenty of them from installations of their products. They work really well with cbus and are, i believe, much cheaper if you have to buy them.

jonnyp64, Jun 25, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  10. 71monaro

Conformist

Thanks for the heads-up on the Pixie caps..

Conformist, Jun 25, 2022
  11. 71monaro

Conformist

Glad to help :)

Like you, I still have logic in PICED devices (C-Touch) and a little in the Minder too. Migrating some across to Homebridge and NodeRed running on a Pi. Mainly doing this so I can link to other items such as TPLink plug adapters and Tuya LED strip control. Using C-Bus switches to control lamps and the strip lights.

Pretty happy with the Homebridge despite not being an Apple person (using the Google plugin for Google home on the phone). Logged in a couple of times from Bali to tweak things for the kids through a VPN.

Please feel free to callout if you need any help or have any further questions.

Loving the respite from the cold here..

Conformist, Jun 25, 2022
  12. 71monaro

Matthew

Absolutely!, diffused / frosted face are not true downlights, I find Glare bombs a more accurate description.
    I've had good success with Atom as they have OK reflector downlights (9012) with separate drivers that work well on C-bus dimmers.
    Pierlite had a nice reflector downlight, the crystal eco that worked well on C-Bus, but they changed that to a single unit so it's cheaper. for them but not for us.... A downlight with a separate driver is fundamentally a better product.

Matthew, Jun 28, 2022
  13. 71monaro

ashleigh Moderator

"Pierlite had a nice reflector downlight, the crystal eco that worked well on C-Bus, but they changed that to a single unit so it's cheaper. for them but not for us.... A downlight with a separate driver is fundamentally a better product."

Any interest in bringing that back from the dead? With an awesomely good driver that will just work, on C-Bus as well as any other phase dimmer?

ashleigh, Jul 3, 2022
  14. 71monaro

Matthew

Hi Ashleigh
    I vote yes, but I am doing other stuff in commercial now and not doing much C-Bus or domestic work. I never had a problem upselling customers to a good downlight like the crystal eco, especially when you show them the comparison to a glare bomb. but I have lighting design skills where most electricians do not.

Matthew, Jul 6, 2022
Ask a Question