L5504AMP Level Scaling

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Newman, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Newman

Newman

L5504AMP Analogue Output Unit Update

Since the L5504AMP has been released it has supported minimum level scaling ONLY, but not maximum level scaling. The software however has always (mistakenly) shown both minimum and maximum level scaling in the UI.

A firmware update for the L5504AMP was released to production on 1/8/2005 that will allow both minimum and maximum scaling to work. Updated units will be coming off the production line in the next few weeks as units already "in the system" move through. Updated units are 100% compatible with all existing software products, both V2 and Toolkit.

Existing L5504AMP units of ANY AGE can have the upgrade applied if they are returned to the factory for updating.

*** Please print out this post and include with any units being returned ***

Many thanks to Graham Lamb for bringing this limitation of the product to our attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2005
    Newman, Aug 1, 2005
  2. Newman

wanricky

What is the updated firmware version? I have a number of 5504AMP arrived last month and I want to check first before sending back.

wanricky, Sep 12, 2005
  3. Newman

Newman

Unfortunately you can't inspect any firmware version numbers in the product to determine if it has the update. The only way to check is to perform a simple test on the unit to see if the maximum level is reduced when the group is at 100% and the max level is set to less than 100%.

Come to think of it, there is a sneaky way of checking but only IF the unit hasn't been programmed with any software or Learn Mode yet, i.e the unit is fresh from the factory:

• An old unit will show the minimum level as 0% and the maximum level as 1%.
    • An updated unit will show the minimum level as 0% and the maximum level as 100%.
    And therein lies proof that maximum scaling never worked in the product before August - the maximum level was (mistakenly) set to 1% in units shipped before August 2005 but this had no effect on the operation of the product.

Newman, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Newman

lion110

I know a little english.I only know result.I'm sorry for everybody!

lion110, Aug 1, 2007
  5. Newman

nickrusanov

how many bit is digital analogue processor in L5504AMP?

i mean if we send 48% group level and 52% group level will we get same 5V?

nickrusanov, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Newman

Newman

The processing of the levels within the unit is 8-bit. That means that the level from 0 - 10V is divided into 255 individual steps. That gives the unit the ability to control the output voltage in steps of 0.04V.

Newman, Mar 20, 2008
Ask a Question