L5501RFCP Sweep Fan Controller Neutral

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Damaxx, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Damaxx

Damaxx

I see that the new Fan Controller uses a double pole relay for the fan supply.

What was the intent with this? The reason I ask is if the sweep fan has a light attached that switching the neutral cannot be done as most fans have a common neutral for the motor and the light and rewiring the fan the separate the neutrals would obviously kill any warranty being offered.

Damaxx, Dec 11, 2010
  2. Damaxx

Newman

In some countries where the Fan Controller is sold it is law that both the active and neutral connections must be broken when the fan is off. In markets like Australia, this is not the case and the neutral connections on the Fan Controller are not required to be used. The unit derives it's power from C-Bus so there is no need to provide either active or neutral to make the unit operate.

Newman, Dec 12, 2010
  3. Damaxx

Conformist

The neutral needs to be switched in some markets (Hong Kong and the UK to name a few). There is no need to switch the neutral in Australia. The controller doesn't need a neutral to operate

Cheers

Conformist, Dec 12, 2010
  4. Damaxx

Damaxx

Thanks gents. I was scratching my head a little on that one.

Damaxx, Dec 12, 2010
  5. Damaxx

znelbok

I am jsut about to put two fan-lights in and was planning on re-wiring the light because of the common neutral - I did not think oif the warranty issue.

So how do you do it then?

Dimmer for the light
    Fan Controller for the fan.

I use a singel MCB/RCD per C-Bus unit (dimmer and relays at least). This would mean that I would have to pull the RCD for the dimmer and put a larger one in to handle the fans (lets say I put 5 fans in, just for the sake of argument). Not looking at any specs I would cautios at putting all that on the one 10A MCB/RCD.

I may just have to void the warranty to get it working the way I want.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 12, 2010
  6. Damaxx

Conformist

Hi Mick

I don't understand the warranty issue. You are replacing the contacts of the fan controller that comes with the fan, with the C-Bus fan controller. You don't need to modify the fan.

How would you be wiring the fan (with respect to the RCD) if you didn't have C-Bus?

Where are you planning on installing the fan controller (s/bd or in the ceiling space)?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    Conformist, Dec 12, 2010
  7. Damaxx

Newman

I think Mike's issue is that he typically fits a single RCBO for each DIN output unit, or row of output units. If he connects the Fan Controller and the Dimmer to independent RCBO's, and the neutrals are joined at the fan, then the RCBO's will trip. If he separates the neutrals at the fan then he's concerned about the impact on warranty. If he connects the Fan Controller to the same RCBO as the dimmer then he's concerned that he'll need to up-size the RCBO to cater for the extra load current, which may have other impacts.

I suggest that you use a separate RCD with MCBs for the dimmer and the Fan Controller in this case.

Newman, Dec 13, 2010
  8. Damaxx

Conformist

I get what Mike does. The fan uses hardly any current (typical fan is less than 100W) and could easily go on the same RCD/MCB.

If its a case of dividing up the modules in the s/bd, it means additional pole space will be required for the RCD/MCB which is not really required.

Conformist, Dec 13, 2010
Ask a Question