L5501RFCP Ceiling Fan Controller Wiring?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by impact, Mar 23, 2013.

1. impact

impact

Having had my whole house wired for Cbus, I drew up everything in Visio using the templates available, handed them to my sparky and got it all installed.

Good for my understanding, now after a couple of years of a few good hot summers, I find that I wished I had installed ceiling fans - so now I am retrofitting some fans.

Having never used the L5501RFCP before, I was a bit surprised to see that it is powered by cbus, and does not need power, yet requires an active and neutral, which is not switched... hmm... So I am querying how this actually gets wired properly...

In my instance the fan controller itself will be placed around 10m away from the switchboard containing all the cbus gear, and it will be about 3m away from the fan (thats the problem with a full switchboard, and a 2 story house without access to the ground floor ceiling. The location of the L5501RFCP is in the path between the two that is in an accessible area given any future replacement requirements.

So a fan with a dimmable light will be installed to replace an existing dimmable light coming from a L5508D1A.

As it will be tricky to get another Active wire through to the light/ fan location - I want to ensure it all goes smoothly.

I have drawn up a rough diagram attached that explains as-is and future options. I just want to ensure that I really do need to send an active and neutral to the L5501RFCP, and I can use the existing Neutral that goes to the switchboard L5508D1A as a common for the light Active and Fan Active ?

Wont cause any feedback / oscillation / interference / noise / disruption etc.

(The clipsal visio templates have to be updated - there was a shutter controller, but no fan controller - I had to make my own - I wonder what else is missing!)

Thanks

Attached Files:

impact, Mar 23, 2013
  2. impact

Conformist

You may not need to switch the neutral (depending on where you are in the world). The UK and Hong Kong both require the active and neutral be switched to a motor (such as a ceiling fan). Most other markets do not require this. The diagram you have shown with a common neutral (unswitched) is almost correct. You don't need a neutral at the fan controller. BTW, the fan controller was designed to be installed in a switchboard or in the purpose-built enclosure, even in a ceiling space! The fan controller has a high temperature rating so it can be installed into a roof space.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    Conformist, Mar 23, 2013
  3. impact

71monaro

Don't forget the three wire capacitor which is the hardest part. I could only determine the colours by trial and error.

71monaro, Mar 23, 2013
  4. impact

Conformist

Easiest way I've found is to use a multi-meter and 'bell out' the terminals of the switch that comes with the fan to find out which wire is low and meduim. The common is the one that goes to the fan (in the same terminal as the load) so you only need to determine low and medium. High is no capacitor aka Direct On Line (DOL). I usually cut the capacitor off the switch, just leaving enough of the wires on so I can note the colours when testing.

Hope this helps :)

Conformist, Mar 23, 2013
Ask a Question