L5501RBCP vs L5512RVF

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by discjockeyr, Mar 13, 2008.

1. discjockeyr

discjockeyr

Hellο,

i have seen the L5501RBCP Motorised Blinds/Curtains/Shutter Relay on the CIS website and i am wondering what can offer you more than a L5512RVF.
    Actually if you use 2 channels on L5512RVF you can make the same job. Is this correct? Please any opinions will be apriciated.

discjockeyr, Mar 13, 2008
  2. discjockeyr

znelbok

There are many threads here on curtain and blind control. They will fill you in on the correct way to control a reversible motor.

Basically the standard relay will allow you to put power on for both directions at once, a change over relay can prevent that but not prevent instantaneous switching of directions.

The new blind controller prevents all of these, hence saving your motor

Mick

znelbok, Mar 13, 2008
  3. discjockeyr

Conformist

Great points Mick!

The another benefit is the ability to use a single group address to control both relays for up/down/stop.

Cheers

Conformist, Mar 13, 2008
  4. discjockeyr

NickD Moderator

The L5501RBCP is specifically designed to blind/shutter control. It provides the hardware interlocking that the L5512RVF doesn't.

With a L5512RVF I reckon you would need to use at least three channels to achieve up/down and interlocking, plus you would need some moderately tricky programming. If you get it wrong, you risk damaging the relay and/or your motor. I know from our testing that incorrect wiring or programming that doesn't enforce a delay between changing directions WILL kill a relay, and it CAN do it within one or two operations depending on when in the mains cycle it happens to switch.

The L5501RBCP also has some special functionality for the purpose of blind/curtain control.

It has a special "level translation mode" which you can use to easily set up one/two/three button control from a standard key unit.

- One button mode gives you up/stop/down/stop on consecutive presses.
    - Two button mode gives you up/stop and down/stop on two buttons
    - Three button mode gives you up, down, and stop buttons.

Finally, the L5501RBCP allows you to set a failsafe timeout for the motor run time. This is normally set to *just* longer than it takes the motor to travel from fully open to fully closed. The relay models its group address level based on the run time, so the beauty of this is that you can tell the relay to go to, say 33%, and it will run for the right amount of time to get to that position.

This means you can use it with scenes.. I have this at home and it works pretty well, although the position is not 100% accurate as the motor speed varies with line voltage, but it's usually accurate to within about 5cm.

Nick

NickD, Mar 13, 2008
  5. discjockeyr

2SC

2SC, Mar 14, 2008
Ask a Question