L5501RBCP Shutter Relay Single DC Power

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Roberts, May 3, 2009.

1. Kevin Roberts

Kevin Roberts

I am trying to install a shutter relay but only have a single 12VDC power source available. I require a 2 pole changeover relay to reverse the polarity to the motor. Has anyone done this. Would like some info on it Thanks
    Kevin Roberts

Since I posted this question I have discovered that the relay section of this unit is replaceable
    and contains 2 x RT424A05 relays which are DPDT. It is physically wired as per the DC Motor Control diagram. It would be easy to alter the PCB to achieve what I need to do.
    Looking at the relay base unit and the way it is constructed I figure that Clipsal intended to offer different relay configurations, but have still yet to release them.
    Kevin Roberts

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    Kevin Roberts, May 3, 2009
  2. Kevin Roberts

Newman

There are no plans or intentions to release alternative relay configurations for the unit. It is not designed to be disassembled by customers, however as you've found out getting the bottom off the unit isn't terribly difficult.

Please keep in mind that any modification will definitely void your warranty on that unit and may affect the warranty of all devices that form part of your C-Bus installation.

In addition to the warranty issues, modifications to the relay board may compromise the electrical isolation of your entire installation. C-Bus is an SELV system which requires 3.75KV of isolation.

You might be better off using a regular DIN Change-Over relay unit, which already gives you free access to the 3 terminals of the change over relay.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    Newman, May 3, 2009
  3. Kevin Roberts

Kevin Roberts

Newman,
    Thank you for your reply, I am currently using a changeover relay, which allowes me to have the shutter fully up or fully down. I would like to be able to stop the shutter any where between the limit switches.
    Is there any way using the current C-Bus equipment, with a single 12VDC power supply to the motor, to be able to stop, start and reverse the shutter between limit switches.
    Thanks
    Kevin Roberts

Kevin Roberts, May 4, 2009
  4. Kevin Roberts

RossW

I have 6 shutters out the front of my place (partly for fire protection, they're double-skin metal). Unlike yours, they are AC and have two seperate active lines - one for "up", one for "down" and a common neutral.

I used a 12 channel relay module, one channel for up, one for down, for each shutter.

I know its not "best practice" but I only have software interlocks to ensure no shutter is driven up and down simultaneously, and that there is a short pause between driving in one direction and another.

Each room has a switch that toggles shutters "up" or "down". From the touch-screens there is a "slits only" setting which is where the shutters are basically still down, but not "locked", and afford a small amount of light and visibility.

I'd love to do a "tri-state" function from the switches, but without logic in the touch-screen, or a PAC, I haven't figured out a way to do that yet.

RossW, May 4, 2009
  5. Kevin Roberts

Newman

Kevin. Try putting a conventional relay in series with the feed from the DC supply. That will give you the flexibility to stop the blind motor in any position.

Plenty of keys have been pounded on forum posts about using blinds in the days prior to the release of the Shutter Relay, so a forum search might give you a few clues or extra ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
    Newman, May 5, 2009
Ask a Question