Keyless entry and C-Bus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by thelauman, Dec 1, 2004.

1. thelauman

thelauman

Heya,

Just wondering if it is possible for a reed switch eg. used on keyless entry lock, can be attached to say a bus coupler or aux input to activate an event on the c-bus network.

Eg. By pressing a code to unlock the door, a signal is sent to c-bus to unarm an alarm system, and activate a, say, welcome scene.

Additionally, would it be possible to control the opening of the reed switch by a c-bus command, eg. sent from a key input unit.

Any advice on if this is possible and if so how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

thelauman, Dec 1, 2004
  2. thelauman

ashleigh Moderator

Yes, you could do as you suggest.

But...

Suggest you also check Axeze. They have a keyless entry system that is C-Bus Enabled (tested and ceritifed by Clipsal) which can be direct connected and makes lighting events happen on C-Bus.

www.axeze.com.au

ashleigh, Dec 1, 2004
  3. thelauman

Richo

I would never setup the capability for a C-Bus to disarm an alarm. Disarming should only be done via security devices. (e.g. Keypad).

Richo, Dec 1, 2004
  4. thelauman

MichaelCarey

It's great integrating other devices into C-Bus. I use the orphaned HomeMinder to monitor my doorbell and dim up the front light, but only at night time and only if the front light isn't already on. HomeMinder also monitors a door reed and activates a welcome home scene when I open the front door at night time.
    I hope the C-Bus Logic Engine will have this type of flexible programming.
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Dec 2, 2004
  5. thelauman

Peter_L

I would use the Axeze product.

The Axeze/C-Bus interface allows Axeze to send pre-programmed C-Bus messages to the C-Bus network on the occurrence of Access Control Events. Events that can trigger a C-Bus messages to be sent include Request To Exit, Access Point Forced Open, Access Point Left Open, Access Point Re-secured, Authorised Access Request and Denied Access Request.

The interface can be programmed to send the same C-Bus message for all access points or unique messages for each access point. It can even be programmed to send unique C-Bus messages for individual users at individual doors.

The interface supports the Enabled, Irrigation, lighting, Pool, Spa, Pond and Fountain, Trigger and Ventilation applications so the messages do not just have to be to trigger scenes.

It is not possible to open the lock through the C-bus network but this can be achieved using the press-to-exit input, using this input you would allow the interface to send messages to c-bus when the key is turned also.

The Axeze access control network can use Axeze high security cards or a standard weigand input, which allows you to interface biometrics, long read range devices, keypads and wiegand readers

For more information on the Axeze Network System go to:

http://www.axeze.com.au/default.aspx?pageid=KEN

Peter_L, Dec 2, 2004
  6. thelauman

Colin Smith

Greetings

I would not send security alarm type functions across C-Bus. The reason for this is what happens if the Electrical Power is remove. (Blackout or switched off at the switchboard). C-Bus would cease to function while the alarm panel, which should be battery backed up, would still function!
    If you were using a C-Bus switch to open an external security door (Exit Button), this door would not open if the power were remove from C-Bus. Also depending on how you had it configured the alarm panel may switch of the security system because it thinks the non-active state of the output was a request to do so.

Colin Smith

Colin Smith, Dec 2, 2004
  7. thelauman

gonzales

Hmm - not all strictly true. If you use a security system it should be battery backed (if its not it does not meet Australian standards and you should not be using it).

Your C-Bus system can control the security system (if its C-Bus Enabled), allowing it to be armed, allowing entry of the disarm code (don't worry - its not the same as sending a single disarm request message), and allowing the security system to turn certain lighting groups on and off.

If there is a power failure, the security system *MUST* continue its normal operation, operating off the backup battery. Of course, the C-Bus functions won't operate then. But you can still arm / disarm control it using its normal control panel (which of course you will have put somewhere - you won't be relying on C-Bus as the ONLY human interface to the system, will you?).

Similarly, access control using door strikes *if set up properly* allows use of a manual bypass / key / something similar.

So, the moral of the story is, set it up properly. If there is a power failure of C-Bus, DO NOT set up to cause your security system to disarm. And if you use electrical / electronic access control, then make sure you have an old-fashioned backup - like a big handle or a key or similar.

gonzales, Dec 2, 2004
  8. thelauman

Peter_L

I think i may have confused some people (if not just myself) saying

I thought the first post was referring "Key switch" not a C-Bus key switch but a switch like those connected to an alarm box. (I have been using too many different automaton devices and forgot that C-Bus calls its buttons Key's. :eek:)

What I was saying was, by connecting a button or something directly to the Access Control press to exit input and using an interface between the Access Control System and C-Bus, you could do stuff like turn off all the lights when the press to exit is pushed. In the event of power failure the door would still open (if battery backed) but the lights would not go off which is fine in a blackout :p . The same could be said about alarms, not good to disarm based on a C-Bus message best to disarm at the alarm panel.

Sorry if a confused anyone

Peter_L, Dec 2, 2004
  9. thelauman

znelbok

sorry to diverge from the scope of the thread

It would be great to have a list of c-bus enabled products. I keep finding them here (three so far), but there is nothing that I have found on the clipsal site.

Does anyone know if such a list exists?

znelbok, Dec 3, 2004
  10. thelauman

Peter_L

Peter_L, Dec 3, 2004
  11. thelauman

ashleigh Moderator

more coming.... takes time....

ashleigh, Dec 3, 2004
Ask a Question