Keeping wiser in sync with auxilary inputs.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by CABrouwes, Nov 9, 2011.

1. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

I have installed a number of water detectors that are tied to a DIN auxiliary input units. Each input controls a specific c-bus group (Aux ON/Off). A wiser is supposed to monitor the status of the inputs and take action if needed. My question is : how to ensure that the wiser is always in sync with the state of the detector ?

First, how do I make sure that the level of the group tied to each detector is automatically set by the aux input unit at start up and then broadcast to the c-bus?

Secondly, in case the wiser needs to restart or there is some disruption on the network, how can I make sure the wiser is sync as with the input unit ? In my current set up, there is not output unit so the MMI process will not take place, correct ? Do I need to add output units just to trigger the MMI process ? And even if I do that, won't the group levels be set on the basis the status of the output unit, which might not be in sync with the input unit.

Thanks

CABrouwes, Nov 9, 2011
  2. CABrouwes

Newman

If your concern is synchronisation on power-up, then you will notice that the Auxiliary Input unit has an option to "Broadcast on Power Up". Older units have this feature as a global parameter (global tab), new units have this configurable on a per-input basis (power failure tab).

MMI's require at least one input unit to initiate them, and then the data is populated by output units, so your network will have MMI's occuring, but they will be empty.

If you added an output unit to your network and assigned it's groups to the same groups that you were monitoring in the Auxiliary Input unit, then the Wiser would be able to retrieve the group status.

Newman, Nov 9, 2011
  3. CABrouwes

NickD Moderator

To add a little to Newman's comments.

This in itself probably won't help for Wiser, as the power-up sequence for the Aux Input unit is much faster than Wiser, so the Wiser will be unlikely to ever see these messages.

A common practice for enabling status correction on these "phantom" groups is to populate any unused logic groups in output units with the phantom groups. If you set the "Logic Recovery Option" to "Auto Level Store", then the output unit will remember the level of the groups across power failures.

If you couple this with the "broadcast on powerup" in the Aux Input unit then
    - the output units can remember the last state
    - the aux input can broadcast its state on powerup, so any changes during the power outage will be recognised
    - the wiser can interrogate the group state (which has to come from the output unit) when it powers up

Nick

NickD, Nov 9, 2011
  4. CABrouwes

CABrouwes

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. I found another approach which would not require adding an output unit just for that purpose. I am thinking of tying the power supply of the leak detectors to a relay. At start up the wiser will cut the power to the detectors and set all the groups to the OFF state. The wiser will then re-establish power to the the detectors. As the power comes back on, the auxilary input units will detect the changes on its inputs that are activated by the detectors and will broadcast the ON state for the corresponding groups . The wiser could even repeat the sequence regularly to re-sync with the aux inputs.

CABrouwes, Nov 10, 2011
Ask a Question