Joining Cbus data cable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by l60mcm, Dec 19, 2010.

1. l60mcm

l60mcm

Hi I have searched for this but can not find any info. I am just about to install the pink cat5 to the light switches etc but there is a few points where I may want a device in the future so I will be running the data cable now. Unfortunatly it is not possible to just loop the cable so I was wondering what would be the best way to join the cable until I eventually add the device

l60mcm, Dec 19, 2010
  2. l60mcm

Leigh

There are many ways this can be done. If you use a RJ45 patch block you can terminate the cables now and plug in any additional cables later on without needing to disturb the existing cables.

I have used a Clipsal RJ8052/4RJDMB which provides 2 groups, each containing 4 jacks which are already commoned. By connecting the two groups with very short cables on the rear of the block you end up with eight jacks commoned together.

Leigh, Dec 20, 2010
  3. l60mcm

l60mcm

would somthing like This do to connect the wires

l60mcm, Dec 20, 2010
  4. l60mcm

tobex

Scotch locks are really unreliable.

I would strongly recommend either a ferrule with a crimper or a KRONE CommonA-CommonB block (50% joins one side, 50% joins the other side and is a secure IDC connection).

Please look over some of my previous comments to find a photo.

tobex, Dec 20, 2010
  5. l60mcm

John Harnett

For a 'star' type layout I like to use a cheap CAT3 panel and just punch down common buss wiring for all ports on the back of it, then can plug into any of the ports.

John Harnett, Dec 20, 2010
  6. l60mcm

l60mcm

What I was planning on doing is running the cable similar to the attached pic 1 from the switch at one side of the bed then to the other side then on into the next room, I will not be putting the second switch in at present so I would need to connect the cables. Would it be best to do it like pic 2 where I run a wire to switch 1 then to the next room then just leave a un terminated cable laying between switch 1 and 2 which can be connect into both switches at a later stage

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just want to get it right

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
    l60mcm, Dec 21, 2010
  7. l60mcm

ashleigh Moderator

Putting in a bit of cable now thats connected to nothing is FINE. A very good and simple idea, it can easily be connected in later. Just do it.

ashleigh, Dec 21, 2010
  8. l60mcm

l60mcm

thanks I was thinking this would be the best way

l60mcm, Dec 21, 2010
Ask a Question