Joining C-Bus cables, what do you do?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by MichaelCarey, Oct 4, 2004.

1. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Hi Everybody,
    I was wondering what others do when you need to join C-Bus cables. Either in a ceiling space or elsewhere.
    I have done two things...
    1) Terminate the C-Bus cable in a RJ45 plug and use a "double adaptor" to allow three cables to be joined in parallel.
    2) Used a Krone commoning block and punch down the cables into that. I have used this in my own home to terminate multiple cables in one spot. Both in my wiring closet and also in the shed where there is one "feed" to the shed and multiple units in use (key inputs, PIR, DIN relay etc.)
    What is Clipsal's preferred method?
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Oct 4, 2004
  2. MichaelCarey

Charlie Crackle

I have always wondered why did clipsal decide to put screw terminals on all the switch plates etc ??
    Why did they not go for a insulation displacement connector. Would have made termination a breeze. They also could have terminated all 8 wires to it would be easy to keep the "Master ON" "Master OFF" circuits complete when you have power supplies distributed.
    Is it just a hang over from old designs when cbus was figure 8 cable ??

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Oct 4, 2004
  3. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

I don't think C-Bus ever used figure-8 cable, but I remember it using plain old telephone cable, the solid core twisted pair stuff. White & Blue, Red & Black.

MichaelCarey, Oct 4, 2004
  4. MichaelCarey

allgo

My preferred method is to crimp C-Bus cabling into bootlace terminals and secure with screw connectors. If the joint is required to be in the ceiling space enclose termination with a Junction Box.

allgo, Oct 5, 2004
  5. MichaelCarey

Clyde

Bootlace ferrules

I'm with you Allgo, we use bootlace ferrules on all key inputs, makes a good connection if several cables are to be terminated, holds them all together, and less chance of them snapping.

Clyde, Oct 7, 2004
Ask a Question