Java problem, what version do I need?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by MichaelCarey, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MichaelCarey

MichaelCarey

Hi Everybody,
    I have just taken the plunge and installed Toolkit V1.1.4 on my office machine (I have been using it on my laptop with great results).
    But I am finding that I cannot get C-Gate2 to work. A quick look in the Java properties in Control Panel shows that I have three versions of the JRE installed at the moment, 1.4.2_05, 1.4.2_06 and 1.5.0. What is the version installed with Toolkit?
    I have attached the error message that comes up when I try to start C-Gate2 in a command window. As I already have v1.4.2 installed (plus later ones), what could possibly cause this error?
    Regards,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

MichaelCarey, Feb 19, 2005
  2. MichaelCarey

Duncan

Hi Michael,

This error is probably caused by the fact that CGate is seeing Java 1.5.0 installed. When Sun released Java 5.0 they changed the version numbering methodology and the check that CGate performs to make sure it has a valid JRE to work with mistakenly interprets 5.0 as not being good enough (even though it is).. Toolkit 1.1.5 fixes this..

In the meantime you can get around this by manually starting CGate with a different version of the JRE. A shortcut with something like:

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\java -jar C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\cgate.jar

Sorry for the inconvenience.. fixed soon..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
    Duncan, Feb 19, 2005
  3. MichaelCarey

Richo

Just to make sure Duncans post is clear, C-Bus Toolkit 1.1.5 has not been released yet.

I have been running the internal beta of C-Bus Toolkit 1.1.5 (C-Gate 2.1.1) with Java 5 with no problems so far. C-Bus Toolkit will still be released with Java 1.4.2 as this is the official supported configuration, but we will ramp up the internal validation of Java 5 soon and probably migrate the official install etc... to Java 5 in due course.

Richo, Feb 20, 2005
Ask a Question