IXL Tastic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrei, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Andrei

Andrei

I have a couple NEO IXLTastics Installed currently on Cbus system.. using the Cbus switches to control.
    Would like to upgrade to Luminate IXLTastics..

I was told that same wiring is not able to be used..
    Is the IXL Luminate able to be connected to Cbus?

Andrei, Jul 31, 2020
  2. Andrei

Andrei

Here’s an image of the electrical diagram for the new Luminate IXL

Attached Files:

Andrei, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Andrei

Andrei

Closer version

Attached Files:

Andrei, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Andrei

chromus

Based on a cursory glance at the install guide you would be paying a LOT of cash for the unit and then ditching the control gear it comes with to integrate it.

Install Guide

I guess it depends how much you like the look of the unit, a decent sparky could bypass the control unit easily enough, but I personally would be looking to see if they have a "dumb" version of the same unit that doesn't have the electronics you don't need.

chromus, Jul 31, 2020
  5. Andrei

Ashley

Wow, that's a lot of cash for a bit of aesthetics in the ceiling you are going to look at once then forget about :)

Chromus has it nailed though.

Ashley, Jul 31, 2020
  6. Andrei

NickD Moderator

I put the Neos in myself several years ago, despite the cost, because they were only option that wasn't completely hideous.

There are now several other good looking options from other manufacturers without the ridiculous price tag and without the even more ridiculous wall controller.

Nick

NickD, Aug 4, 2020
  7. Andrei

JasonY00

I would probably forget the whole thing.

You would have to ditch the whole circuit board and direct wire the LED, fan and heat lamps all in to CBus relays and maybe a Dimmer unit for the LED.

That innocuous little 55degree thermal switch that you see in the instructions is the sting in the tail. These units require a permanent active and this switch turns the fan on when the heat lamps heat the unit up too much. (They get hot when the fan is off and the heat lamps are on as they are ducted).

So you need to work out how to have the fan wired with a CBus relay and the permanent active in series with the switch or have the fan come on whenever the heat lamps are on with logic in the relay or a logic engine. This is another reason why it has to have a separate isolation switch as there is always a live active to the unit.

Alternatively, and possibly the best and safest way, depending on how the cat6 is wired, you could butcher or not use the wall switch and use a CBus ELV Relay and direct wire it to the buttons/cat6 cable and hide it all away in the roofspace. Your CBus switch in the bathroom then has a one-to-one relationship with the ELV relay. You can have a good look at the cat6 cabling and try to see how it works. If you use a ELV relay you won’t be able to dim the LED.

The way the switch is wired will give you answers as to what you can do.

Cheers

Jason

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    JasonY00, Aug 8, 2020
Ask a Question