Is HVAC Control Possible With Logic (aka replacing 5070's with a SHAC)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by random78, Feb 24, 2019.

1. random78

random78

Hi All,

Is it possible to emulate the functionality of the old 5070xxxx style thermostats using a mixture of PLC's (eg: SHAC), I/O, and Temperature sensors to manage a multizone (dampers) central A/C through the units standard 5 wire RWG control interface, or am I missing something fundamentally (happens more often than I would like) ?

It is not clear to me if there is a replacement for the 5070 series in the pipeline that is compatible with C-Bus but the OEM for my multizone heading and cooling system is stuck in 1992, and are still busy patting themselves on the back about their 7 day programmable thermostats and are unlikely to add any modern functionality in the near/mid future.

My initial thought was to use some IP logic to integrate with a NEST/EcoBee system but they lack the ability to integrate with dampening systems (at least without some Nest Pro voodoo). My goal then would be to use something like a SHAC to control some logic to create a HVAC interface to manage multiple NEST inputs to a compatible RWG setup with damper control or alternatively use the still available wall temperature sensors and eDLT's for inputs and again manage the RWG/Dampers via something like a low voltage free relay. It seems to me that it would be a relatively straight forward process to replace the 5070 with a SHAC if using their external relay/HVAC interface topology?

Not sure if anyone has done something like this already, it would be great to hear if anyone has. Alternatively, am I missing anything here in my thinking, that is to replace the 5070xxxxx's "brain with something like a SHAC and continue the use of external relays / and inputs to provide the HVAC interface and damper control.

Thanks in advance.

random78, Feb 24, 2019
    MarkB likes this.
  2. random78

lcrowhurst

14DB105A-AFED-46A2-B319-8C71FB077B39.jpeg Yes, I have done this on several multi zone jobs, the fleability of the logic and the screen design on the Shac/nac make almost anything possible. I use the cbus temp sensors and relays etc

lcrowhurst, Feb 24, 2019
    max w and MarkB like this.
  3. random78

MarkB

I'm hoping to use a NAC to control my AC units and dampers also.

@Laurence: I'd be interested to know what you think about using variable damper actuators? They are available with 0-10v signal input so I guess could be used with a L5504AMP?

With a little logic this should allow some degree of temperature variation between zones.

MarkB, Feb 24, 2019
  4. random78

random78

Thank you, Laurence. I appreciate you validating the concept. I appreciate you have put allot of work into developing your solution so I don't expect a free copy of the solution but are there any hidden catches someone undertaking this kind of project should be aware of, eg: Lockout/purge timers when switching modes?

PS: Great to see your wiser app on the app store and the Saturn style iPad housings look great!

random78, Feb 24, 2019
  5. random78

lcrowhurst

you a quick one, I will try and reply in more detail later.
    re catches
    for me one of the biggest things, not really a SHAC thing , but was to use change over relays, so thing such a fan low med high etc could only have one operational at a time, I know it can be done in logic, but to have physical lockout , I feel a lot safer.

lcrowhurst, Feb 27, 2019
  6. random78

random78

I hear what you are saying loud and clear about the physical lockout's. Logic is great until it is something important where I trust physics over my software (or anyone else's for that matter) any day of the week. Plus I figured if it was straight forward everyone would be doing it.

Will really look forward to any further details, but only when you have the time.

random78, Feb 28, 2019
Ask a Question