Is bricking a NAC/SHAC possible?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by tassiebean, May 10, 2019.

1. tassiebean

tassiebean

I've just received my 5500SHAC and diving into the steep learning curve. I haven't done a tear-down on the unit (and don't really intend to) but I notice that the manual talks about the internal micro SD Card, and also that you can FTP into it (but warns that you can accidentally delete system files, etc).

So, my question is - if you get too adventurous on your lua scripting (or perhaps through some other mechanism e.g. unwise FTP activity), can you mess up the system to the point that a factory reset via the menu system is not possible?

I've done a lot of work with Raspberry PI's, and they hold everything on a single SD card. As a developer, once you get a stable install, you just save an image of the SD card, knowing that should you irreversibly mess up the operating system files, you can simply write another SD card from your saved image, and away you go again.

It would be comforting to know that a NAC/SHAC could work the same way, and that a working image was available to download. Alternatively maybe the architecture of the NAC/SHAC has the bootup parts of the system (and factory reset code) in non-writable/erasable memory. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

tassiebean, May 10, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question