Is any cable other than 'Pink' C-Bus cable certified?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abg, May 9, 2016.

1. abg

abg

Excuse this question if it is totally stupid but I feel like I may be in a parallel universe. Is there any cable that is certified for C-Bus other than the pink C-Bus cable?

A friend has electricians installing his and they have said that pink cable can't be used underground so they have run Cat6 (waterproof) (distance is about 100m). All underground cable is in conduit.

I have never heard this - All my runs are pink C-Bus regardless of location and distance. Underground is of course in conduit. I have runs > 100m and they are absolutely fine (given max is 1000m). Just ensure C-Bus powered units are spread across network.

Have I blinked and missed some change somewhere!?

abg, May 9, 2016
  2. abg

DarylMc

DarylMc, May 9, 2016
  3. abg

abg

Thanks for the confirmation Daryl. I can fully understand the use of the gel filled cable for underground runs.

Hopefully they are using pink cable for the internals - this could be very confusing given there are network cables too. Can't envisage any reason why they wouldn't...

abg, May 9, 2016
  4. abg

Ashley W

Your specific question aside, don't think the pink cable is "certified" as such, or its use compulsory. Good practice yes, compulsory no.

What makes the pink C-bus cable special is its has a mains rated jacket, though the cable must still be segregated from mains as per any other SELV cable.

Ashley W, May 9, 2016
Ask a Question