IR via RS232

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by ven, May 21, 2010.

1. ven

ven

Hi all,
    I havent realy used IR before so do excusse the iggnorance,
    My client has a Sony DA5300ES witch has a serial port. Apperiantly the amp can recive its IR codes via the serial port.

My question is if there is any way to send these codes via a pc inteface?

What it comes down to is that he wants to control the AV with his c-touch but not have emmiter leads,

Any advise or suggestions?

ven, May 21, 2010
  2. ven

NickD Moderator

I don't know about "IR codes via serial", but assuming the serial port is there for control (and not just something bring like firmware updates) you can usually control most if not all of the functions of the receiver via the serial port, if you can get your hands on the serial protocol...

Once you have the serial protocol, you would need a device with the logic engine and an RS232 port, which means either the Pascal Automation Controller (5500PACA), or the Colour C-Touch (5000CTC). You will also need the ability to write the program for the logic engine.

You would probably need to ask your dealer to ask Sony for the protocol.. I have no idea how open they are about this, but other manufacturers are (I have an Onkyo receiver and I just asked the local distributor and they provided the doco).

Nick

NickD, May 21, 2010
Ask a Question