IR leds on the Matrix

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Charlie Crackle, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

How may IR leds can the Matrix Switcher Drive ??

2 x 2 head only ??

Can you put a 3.5mm Double adaptors and drive 3 x 2 head ??
    or 2 x 3.5mm Double adaptors and drive 2 x 2 head and 2 x 1 head ??

Are outputs 1 and 2 driven from 2 different transistors.
    Will the transistors handle more that 2 IR leds ?

Design will have 6 pieces of equipment needed to be controlled

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Dec 29, 2005
  2. Charlie Crackle

Matty

IR properties

The IR channels in the matrix switcher were initially spec'd to run single and dual head emitter leads. The head design allows you to locate the head directly onto the component or stick to an opposing object and blast out IR to multiple units at once. This allows control of several units from one channel by locating the units centrally.

If you would like to like to run more than 2 heads off of one channel then you will be reducing the power available to each head which will significantly reduce the range of each. The end result being that IR transmission, and reticulation will become unreliable.

Each channel is driven independantly and reticulation is passed through both.

Regards,
    Matty

Matty, Dec 29, 2005
  3. Charlie Crackle

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Charles

If you get stuck maybe a couple of solutions....

1: (assumption that the matrix 2 channel ir is a standard cbus 2 ch tx unit )
    If only expansion for one channel required , you could connect it to my FirM Jr(plus splitter) . If my assumption is correct then there would be no issues regarding cable lengths as the FirM Jr ir in is opto isolated...

http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page8.html

2: If both channels require multiple emitters then Maybe something like this...
    One of my Isozone boards + splitter(s) ....

http://www.hobby.armaghelectrical.com.au/page50.html

Both solution would require you have emitters and 12v dc regulated power supply...

HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Thanks Frank,
    The 8 way splitter look perfect. Do I need the FirMJr ?? I assume I do becasue I need to opto isolation becasue you are introducing a new power supply.

I actully looked at your system to do the IR reticulation but the fact that it only supports 38Khz might be an issue. I keep comming accross IR remotes that use other frequencies. The clipsal IR reticulation seams to be more frendly as it sends the carrier frequency.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Charlie Crackle

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Charles

The splitter is a passive device , you would still require the FirM Jr...The power supply is for the driver so you can connect a lot more emitters....

FirM Jr should work ok with Frequencies from 36...to 40 khz with the range dropping off at either end....This tends to cover most kit.....
    HTH
    Frank

6. Charlie Crackle

znelbok

Is this stuff compatible with the xantech and niles range of gear?

They make some better looking IR recievers and I am interested in using them instead.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 31, 2005
  7. Charlie Crackle

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Mick

Not sure on the niles stuff ...but not compatible with xantech ...as it distributes modulated ir @ around 9v.....

If your interested in their Receivers then also use ther tx blocks....Admittingly their receivers look nice but im sure they charge by the weight ;-)

When you purchase one you will understand what i mean ;-)

Frank

8. Charlie Crackle

Colin Smith

Colin Smith, Jan 2, 2006
  9. Charlie Crackle

Newman

The reticulated IR in the Matrix Switcher is designed to handle a wide range of carrier frequencies, but I don't know what the end limits are. It's definitely not restricted to just 38kHz. My guess would be a couple hundred kHz. Whether it will go all the way to 455kHz for B&O gear, I don't know.

Newman, Jan 9, 2006
Ask a Question