IR emitter lead extension

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Wilko, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Wilko

Wilko

I need to extend an IR emitter lead by about 6 metres. According to the installation instructions this can be done over a considerable distance using Cat5. But for this short distance, I just plan to use an off the shelf headphone extension with 3.5mm plug & socket. Anyone have experience with this?

Wilko, Sep 30, 2004
  2. Wilko

Newman

Peter

Should be OK, just remember that when you extend the IR emitter leads you are, in effect, extending the C-Bus network at the same time. Make sure that all your connections are well insulated because a short on the emitter lead may stop the entire unit from working. Don't use some ratty old cable that you just happened to have lying around, use some new cable. If you can get twisted cable even better but even the most basic figure 8 cable will work.

Newman, Sep 30, 2004
  3. Wilko

Wilko

Thanks Newman. I plan to use a pre-made extension cable with molded male & female plugs, so the connections will be nice & neat.

Wilko, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Wilko

jacksim

mini jack

Peter,
    Use more connector will create more problem.(my personal experience)
    I do extended IR probe using normal 2 core cable, solder both end (head and mini jack) and use heat string protect the "join" part.
    Tested working distance = around 20 meter
    :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2004
    jacksim, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Wilko

MichaelCarey

When I first set up my IR output plate (to control my LG air con), I used Cat-5 to extend the IR signal. This was about 7 metres long and I had no problems. As long as you respect that this is electrically coupled to the C-Bus system, you should have no worries.
    Due to nature of the IR output plate, to "insert" the 2nd IR output into my Xantech IR repeater system, I had to make an opto-isolated interface that optically isolates (true!) the IR output plate from the rest of the IR cabling. Works a treat. Keeps everything happy. I also insert my StarServe IR signal into the Xantech system. Where ever I have my StarServe IR target, I can control my home theatre.
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Sep 30, 2004
  6. Wilko

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys
    Like Michael i needed to connect my cbus ir system to other hardware actually my Home Automation ir network so i used opto isolators which work a treat. I actually designed a 2 zone pcb which i have used in my install....One zone is for the cbus system the other my Homevision controller and the combined signal out goes to my multizone ir hardware FirM........If interested have a quick read here.........
    http://skybax.rapidhoster.co.uk/~armagh/page64.html

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Wilko

MichaelCarey

Far out Frank! Great minds think alike! Your IR opto isolated box looks very similar to my own home made one. Amazing stuff... My sockets are the output in my case, I have short 3.5mm cables running to the IR output plate.
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Sep 30, 2004
  8. Wilko

Wilko

Invaluable advice!! As it happens I'm doing another job with IR, and one of the companies on site has asked me if they can run the C-bus IR signals into their IR repeater system. Good to have a bit of background info, now I can give them a straight answer.

On this job I also want to use the home theatre system's multi function remote to control lighting, with the IR signal being carried by the "Starserve-like" system back to a hidden C-Bus IR receiver (I don't want to mount one of these near the entertainment system).

Wilko, Sep 30, 2004
  9. Wilko

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys

On this job I also want to use the home theatre system's multi function remote to control lighting, with the IR signal being carried by the "Starserve-like" system back to a hidden C-Bus IR receiver (I don't want to mount one of these near the entertainment system).

One of my plans for my own setup is to be able to ramp up / down the cbus lites in each room using my existing ir hardware + remote .....Looks like im nearly there...
    My main HA Contoller is Homevision which i designed my zoned ir unit around but I also use xPL which is a UK based FREE software to use for HA purposes .It has a CGATE plugin ....Hardware wise im using a USB UIRT (ir transciever) which also has been recently had a xPL plugin done it, a serial prototype xpl interface for my zoned ir unit ...I now am using my dvd remote to control one of my bedroom lites ;-) Using the chan up chan down buttons which increments/decrements the lite level by 20 each press...Because my zoning ir unit (FirM) can identify which zone the ir signal came from i can use the same remote and same ir codes to ramp up /down lites in each room (max 8 rooms)....Below are the links to the software and hardware that im using if anyone is interested in having a read....

Frank

http://www.xplproject.org.uk/
    http://skybax.rapidhoster.co.uk/~armagh/page19.html
    http://www.usbuirt.com/

Frank Mc Alinden, Oct 1, 2004
  10. Wilko

Wilko

Optical Isolation - why?

Just received confirmation that we'll be running C-bus IR commands into an IR repeater system. Clipsal have advised that the IR emitter leads can connect directly to the repeater system's terminal block - they haven't mentioned optical isolation.

From the posts here, I gather that the IR emitter leads form part of the C-bus netork, electrically speaking. What problems can occur if optical isolation is not used?

Wilko, Oct 1, 2004
  11. Wilko

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Peter
    It states in the 5034 nirt installation manual that the 3.5mm mini audio socket is NOT isolated from the cbus network care must be taken to ensure that these connector housings are not grounded, or otherwise connected to an earth referenced voltage source(must be left floating)...

HTH
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Oct 1, 2004
  12. Wilko

Wilko

Thanks Frank. Haven't taken delivery of the unit yet, so haven't read the installation instructions! Time to get out the soldering iron perhaps..

Wilko, Oct 1, 2004
  13. Wilko

MichaelCarey

I could draw up a hand scematic of my IR opto-isolater if anyone here is interested. Would be happy to oblige....
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Oct 1, 2004
  14. Wilko

Wilko

That would be fantastic Michael, please do!

Wilko, Oct 5, 2004
  15. Wilko

MichaelCarey

Oky Doke,
    Will do it tonight and hopefully post tonight too. Will be only hand drawn as I don't have any fancy editing software and I refuse to use MS Paint :)
    Regards,
    Michael.

MichaelCarey, Oct 5, 2004
  16. Wilko

Frank Mc Alinden

Peter
    Dont forget to order the high speed programming cable when you order your 2 channel nirt ...?? Also after downloading your ir codes to the nirt remove the high speed programming cable as it effects the cbus system...
    Hope im not telling you how to suck eggs ;-0
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Oct 5, 2004
  17. Wilko

Newman

Wired interface

Gents

Here's an opto-isolated interface I knocked up for use with the Andrews Audio AZ-64 and it would work equally well with other systems. It takes a 5-12Vdc input to power the isolated side and draws about 2/5 of bugger all power.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2004
    Newman, Oct 12, 2004
Ask a Question