iphone/itouch app

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

As a customer of CIS, I object to the previous thread on this new app being closed by forum administrators.

I'm not real happy about this.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jul 28, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

I'm going to add some more....

Is this forum run and operated by CIS?

If in fact this is the case. That's fine. I'm cool with this. Obviously any commercial organisation needs a way of communicating in a constructive manner with it's customers. But it should be stated in the general forum information section....along with everything else.

I'd like to know because it will definitely influence how I view the posts on this forum. I think members should be clear about the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

Shepard

I think maybe most of the other members are "clear about the situation"

As a customer of CIS, I would have expected the previous thread on this new app being warned/closed by forum administrators much earlier.

Shepard, Jul 28, 2009
  4. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

I've no idea

Actually I have no idea.

I suspect it's CIS. But I really don't know.

I think any "journalistic" or "media" source - like a forum/blog (or newspaper - or whatever) should declare it's owners/operators.

At the moment, it's like reading something out of one of News Ltd's papers and not knowing it's largely owned and operated by Rupert Murdoch...

5. wappinghigh

tonypeter

Hi it's Tony,

Now my thread has been closed I believe I have earned the right to make a comment on how this forum is run as I was an C-Bus Integrator for some 5 years and during that time I sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of C-Bus. Yesterday I ordered more C-Bus gear for current jobs.

The title of this forum is C-Bus Community Forum and I understand that his forum was established as a mechanism to share ideas and knowledge, assist with technical issues and provide means of communication with C-Bus installers, users and developers. What sense does it make when in one post ?Announcement: Clipsal to publish the C-Bus serial protocols for free use? (http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5022) CIS are promoting and encouraging third party product development but on the other hand run a forum that has a rule No Commercial Purposes, No Advertising.

Third party products are nothing new it has been going on for years and many products worldwide have benefitted from the development of such products. Look at Apple with the iPhone would it be the successful product it is today if they did not have the Apps store, would their revenues increased so dramatically if they did not have 100,000 developers making 50,000 Apps thus selling 50,000,000 iPhone/iPod Touch?s.

This C-Bus forum has no section for developers to showcase their products, look at this forum http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/ there is a section devoted to Commercial Advertisers and rightly so because this only enhances the brand and the Community benefits along with the manufacturer.

No organisation or individual has all of the answers so it is time for this forum to change it?s rules and start to look after the COMMUNITY, it is also time to stop beating the Clipsal drum and start beating the COMMUNITY drum.

Tony

tonypeter, Jul 29, 2009
  6. wappinghigh

admin_vb On Holiday

Sigh.

C-Bus is clipsal stuff, right?

So putting up an announcement from Clipsal saying the protocols are being published is not a big deal, right?

But this forum is not being run by Clipsal. They don't pay for it. They don't host it. They don't run it. They don't administer it. They bitch like hell now and again about what some people post in here.

Every now and again I get a call from some watchers saying "hey what do you think about X is he overstepping the forum rules". Then I think about it a bit and decide if its going too far or not.

"No commercial purpose" means if you want to sell your goods then please go somewhere else. If you have a free software to give away then stay here. If you want to help or support or ask questions, stay here. But please don't use this forum as your means to make $ for yourself.

Back to protocol announcement. Isn't it a good thing if the protocol docs are up for free? I would have thought that takes money away from Clipsal by making it easy for others to develop product?

I don't think its a big deal if others who have product say so here. When it turns into a feature plugging contest then its crossing the line. Point to your own web site :)

The forum purpose page is pretty clear...

No Commercial Purposes, No Advertising

The person who started that thread joined the forum only recently
    As far as I can see he has posted 24 times
    Every post has been on the promotion of his product
    He has not contributed to any other thread or subject

He has been given 5 pages of posts to promote his product despite it being in clear breach of the forum rules

His posts have not been deleted...

but.....

enough is enough!

The posts are still not deleted. Just closed the thread because it's gone on for long enough.

Now maybe I can get back to my holidays

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
    admin_vb, Jul 29, 2009
  7. wappinghigh

admin_vb On Holiday

I just read the part again about commercial advertising.

I sort of agree with the sentiment. Supporting a development community and allowing adverts is something I will think about.

I have not done it because I don't want to be seen to endorse any commercial entity and I don't want the legal liability that comes from plugging somebody elses product if that later turns out to be faulty or dodgy.

admin_vb, Jul 29, 2009
  8. wappinghigh

tonypeter

Admin,

You would not be endorsing or promoting a commercial product or entity simply your forum would provide a platform for the Community to be informed.

As far as legal liability can't see how you would be liable because Caveat emptor applies "Let the buyer beware".

Tony

tonypeter, Jul 29, 2009
  9. wappinghigh

Conformist

Tony, you have had the opportunity to promote your product in spite of the forum rules which you have disregarded. You are using this site to promote your product for commercial gain. You have only posted (until your spray above) to promote your product...24 times... you have not put anything back into the community... only posts about your product and critisism of the community when you were pulled up.

Being a loyal C-Bus user for the last 5 years, why have you only just decided to joint this community? Why have you not contributed back like the rest of those here?

Conformist, Jul 29, 2009
  10. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

OK, OK, enough already.

Can we all stop this please?

It's getting tiring.

I'm one of the few who is not on hols and has been allowed to do a bit of forum control. I'm tired. I'm closing this thread as well.

Can we all get a life now?

ashleigh, Jul 29, 2009
Ask a Question