iPhone app. New CNI.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Aug 4, 2009.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Just noticed the iPhone app has hit the app store. Cool.
    But I'm a bit worried about the comments that it might muck around with WISER settings. No probs. I'll just add a CNI Specifically for the iPhone app.

My question for CIS is how easy is it to add a CNI? Do I just connect it via a pink cbus cat5 cable into my cbus, or is it more involved? Can you run a wiser and a separate CNI on the same network? Can the average punter set this up or do I need an electrician?

wappinghigh, Aug 4, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

Conformist

The CNI does need a separate power supply to power the ethernet side (comes with the unit). The device has two 'sides'... TCP/IP and C-Bus. The TCP/IP side can be configured using the new C-Bus IP configuration utility that comes with Wiser. The C-Bus side is plugged into the C-Bus network via an RJ45 connector. You will also need to setup the C-Bus side using Toolkit (same as with Wiser's CNI).

BTW, you are definitely taking the right approach by not using the Wiser's CNI and installing a separate path via a second CNI to C-Bus....

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
    Conformist, Aug 4, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

tonypeter

Hi,

Your question has been answered and yes you are right the App is available for download now on the Apps Store - TouchSoft Automation

tonypeter, Aug 5, 2009
  4. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks. When connecting two CNI's into cbus, can you use a standard 10/100 ethernet switch so as to share the 2 pink cbus cat5 cables into the one cbus ethernet connection?

wappinghigh, Aug 6, 2009
  5. wappinghigh

Conformist

Your C-Bus side of the CNI is loop in/loop out. The Ethernet side can have both CNI's connect to a switch, hub or Wiser ethernet port.

Conformist, Aug 6, 2009
  6. wappinghigh

kjayakumar

Noooooeeoooooooo, (insert slow motion leaping over the table sequence here). You can't use an ethernet switch to share cbus signals. Hope we weren't too late to stop you from doing that. You can't stick C-Bus into an ethernet switch or a hub or an ethernet anything for that matter. The voltages are not compatible and can result in equipment damage.

kjayakumar, Aug 6, 2009
  7. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Ok!

Yep. All OK and understood....It's why I asked first...I haven't actually "plugged in"!:D

Is there something though in CIS's range like this that allows "loop" through on the cbus side (ie loop through of pink cat5 cbus cable)...say one in and 4 out...something like that....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
    wappinghigh, Aug 6, 2009
  8. wappinghigh

Conformist

Standard CNI has loop in, loop out RJ45 connectors.

You can make multiple connections to the inline CNI (supplied with the Wiser) as it has a screw-terminal configuration. Remove the (C-Bus) cover of the inline CNI and you'll see the terminal block.

Cheers

Conformist, Aug 6, 2009
  9. wappinghigh

abg

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if you are after more than a couple of joins in bootlace crimps the Clipsal 8052/4RJSMB is useful for joining multiple runs. It also has the benefit of allowing you to isolate the individual runs in the event of any problems. I use two of these joined together with no problems.

See the end of this thread for more info if useful:

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3831&highlight=harmonica&page=2

Andrew

Attached Files:

abg, Aug 6, 2009
Ask a Question