iPhone app for CBus - BETA testers needed

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by brad007, Dec 18, 2008.

1. brad007

brad007

Hi Guys,

I've been developing an iPhone/iPod Touch application for Cbus control for a few months now and it's getting close to being ready.

I've attached a couple of screen shots from the iPhone simulator to give you an idea of what it looks like. I've modelled it on the Saturn DLT switches to give a familiar look and feel to end-users. The second image shows how you select a different zone.

It is very easy to use and it only takes a few minutes to configure. To use it you simply select a Zone in the house/building and you'll be presented with a multi-paged DLT switch depending on how many groups you've assigned to the zone. It works the same way a real cbus switch does, a short press will turn the group on or off, whilst a longer press will ramp to a level based on how long you've pressed it for.

The system will require that you're always running C-Gate Server and another small application on a PC. Initially it will only allow access from the local network however I've got plans to enable it to work via the Internet (subject to security issues).

This will create an affordable way to wirelessly control a whole building from a low-cost device like an iPod Touch (they're retailing for about $300).

I am going to be looking for some BETA testers sometime in January so if you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch and would like to be one of the testers please PM me and I'll let you know when it's ready.

Also let me know if you've got any specific features you think would be handy.

Cheers,
    Brad.

Attached Files:

brad007, Dec 18, 2008
  2. brad007

nickrusanov

would be nice to try!
    the best way would be to have:

1. two way control
    2. configurable interface
    3. CNI as an interface, not C-Gate

thank you!

nickrusanov, Dec 18, 2008
  3. brad007

daniel C-Busser Moderator

In a word: Awesome.

daniel, Dec 18, 2008
  4. brad007

brad007

Great Nick, I'll add you to my BETA list and let you know when it's ready for testing.

Thanks for your suggestions, I've got some comments on them:

1. By two-way control I assume you mean that if someone used a physical switch, the status would then be updated on the iPhone? If so that may be possible to do down the track but in the short-term I could have an option for the iPhone to poll cbus every 10 seconds to get the status. It wouldn't be that resource intensive because it only needs to poll the status of the 4 group addresses that are currently displayed in the app

2. The interface is configurable, as in you can choose which group addresses belong to which zones. Do you have some other ideas for further configuration? I've considered Floor Plans but that adds another whole level of complexity

3. Would love to eliminate C-Gate but from what I've read on these forums it is extremely complicated communicating directly with the CNI as Clipsal don't provide a DLL for doing this. That is why they have C-Gate, to allow 3rd-party apps to communicate with the CNI. As you probably already know C-Gate is part of the C-Bus Toolkit install so most people should already have it. Plus there is the java service wrapper that another forum member Richo referred to in another post that enables you to run C-Gate as a Windows Service http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/do...h/download.jsp which should minimize the issue of C-Gate not starting if the PC is rebooted etc.

Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming

brad007, Dec 18, 2008
  5. brad007

timmah

Great Work.
    Have got a V1 Touch so sign me up.

timmah, Dec 19, 2008
  6. brad007

brad007

timmah, i've put you on the list . It will be good to have it tested on your iPod touch as well as some iPhones (not that there should be any difference but you never know).

brad007, Dec 19, 2008
  7. brad007

ashleigh Moderator

If you use CBM talking to a CNI instead of Cgate talking to a CNI, you still need to 1) wrap CBM with some sockets comms (this has been done by others, its not a big deal) to get it talking to the CNI. And 2) You need to have a socket to make a connection to something that talks to CBM. So you might as well use cgate.

If you want the iPhone to connect DIRECT to a CNI you could do that as well. The public access protocol download will be more than adequate. But if you were to do that, you need to be awfully careful about things like polling the bus (rule #1: don't poll. If you need to, you are doing something wrong).

Seems to me like this is a really good way to start. C-Gate gives huge power and flexibility in the interface. Downside is you need a PC running. In the long run, with some careful software development you should be able to go direct to the CNI and eliminate the need for that PC running C-Gate.

Mind you, though, if you want to get the group names, or want to check network state, get events fed back, or work into remote networks (on the other side of bridges) with really good reliability - then in that case C-Gate will always be the most fast, flexible and robust way to do it.

ashleigh, Dec 19, 2008
  8. brad007

brad007

Thanks for your input Ashleigh. Looks like you have an in-depth understanding of CNI-direct vs. C-Gate. I agree that C-gate is probably the best way to make a robust application in the short-term and I'll definitely look into accessing the Public spec via Cbus Enabled and possibly look towards direct CNI access for version 2 or 3.

brad007, Dec 21, 2008
  9. brad007

zip_cool

one word cool..
    can you put me in you list for beta tester..

thanks..

zip_cool, Dec 22, 2008
  10. brad007

fleetz

Hi Brad,

Your application looks really slick. Love the Saturn DLT's

Some constructive comments. Having to have a PC running C-Gate will limit the likely potential user base, I understand why it is being implimented at that level however not too many users are likely to have a PC running C-Gate and your other litte application required 24/7. If you can over time communicate directly to the CNI then I reckon you will be one a real winner!

I will be happy to beta test your application. I have a fully implimented C-Bus system in my new house with 23 Saturn DLT's. I have in the last month got an iPhone and can give your application a good going over. I will PM my details.

Nice work.

Regards,

Fleetz

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
    fleetz, Dec 23, 2008
  11. brad007

PSC

How big is your house?

PSC, Dec 23, 2008
  12. brad007

znelbok

its not hard to get to 20+ switches in a house and if he is using all DLT's....

Mick

znelbok, Dec 23, 2008
  13. brad007

tobex

Would love to help in February. Away before then.

tobex, Dec 24, 2008
  14. brad007

fleetz

Hi Peter,

It is approx 320sq/m. It wasn't differicult as Mick stated to get that many into the house design. Indeed it would have been been 27 if I have put them in the AV closet, C-Bus/HA closet, Toilet and laundry.

I had a couple NEO's from the C-Bus training course which went into the AV closet and C-Bus/HA closet and I bought some Saturn's for the toilet and laundry.

Yes it is a big house but not huge, I didn't think of the cost when I worked out where the DLT's needed to go, just what was the best from a user perspective. Even with 8 switches you would be amazed how many of them I would love to had 10 or more switches!:eek::)

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Dec 26, 2008
  15. brad007

yamy125

Definitely keen to test - looks great. I have an iphone and pc running c-gate 24/7 already for integration back into Promixis Girder, so no issue there.

Cheers

yamy125, Dec 26, 2008
  16. brad007

wensky

cool app for i touch

i would love to demo this. ive been looking for just this kind of application for some time:):)

good work:):):)

wensky, Jan 2, 2009
  17. brad007

slip-stream

Hi Brad,

I'd love to test your app. I have an iPhone.

Thanks,
    Rene.

slip-stream, Jan 17, 2009
  18. brad007

nickrusanov

any success?

nickrusanov, Jan 21, 2009
  19. brad007

brad007

Update on iPhone app

Hi all,

Nick has prompted me to give you an update on the iPhone app for Cbus. The app is largely ready to go with a Cgate interface. I am still waiting on Apple to issue the Developer Certificate I need to install it on actual iPhones - they have a big backlog due to the success of the iPhone developer program.

In response to a lot of feedback I've received I'm currently looking into how to communicate directly with the CNI in an attempt to eliminate Cgate from the equation. I've made some progress on this but there is quite a bit involved from the iPhone end of things. I think rather than releasing the Cgate version I will persist a bit more with the CNI version as that really is the preferred method.

I'll keep you updated as things evolve. I'd rather get it right that just get it out the door quickly.

Cheers,
    Brad.

brad007, Jan 21, 2009
  20. brad007

ddsim27

Does this mean you will be releasing two version?

As I would expect the cgate product to have less operating issues (eg a CNI can only communicate with one device at a time - ie you would need to turn off homegate/cgate to access the CNI). I had this same problem with the philips pronto c-bus script.

ddsim27, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question