IP cameras and ActiveX

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by brodsky, Jun 15, 2007.

1. brodsky

brodsky

Hi guys,

Before you crucify me for asking this again, I have searched the forums but couldn't get an answer, so here it is again.:eek:

We have a site with 5 networked colour touch screens. We also have 2 x Avermedia DVR's on the same network. To the DVR's are connected 5 standard analogue cameras. I want to view these cameras on the touch screens. Regardless of the webcam wizard, we could not manage this. The DVR's requires the download of Active X software as well as a username and password to access the DVR. The IP addresses are all in the same range.

Is this possible?:confused:

Please help!

Regards
    Brodsky

brodsky, Jun 15, 2007
  2. brodsky

ashleigh Moderator

ActiveX controls cannot be loaded into the Colour Touchscreen.

It's not just a mater of Clipsal "banning" ActiveX (though for security this is desirable anyhow), its also driven by the extremely peculiar way that Windows XPe in "minlogon" mode sets up and runs an authenticated logon session. Grrrrrrr!!!

So the long and short of it is, ActiveX controls for cameras won't work.

If you can find a URL in the camera or the device serving the image, and that URL serves out a STATIC JPEG image, then you can use the camera feature of the CTC using that URL. This approach is the only portable, universal method of getting images from cameras without using ActiveX.

(Longer and more gruesome explanations about the methods used by cameras can be dumped if you truly ruly want it... believe me you dont!)

So... you need to find the URL to slurp out a single static JPEG image. With that you should be in business.

ashleigh, Jun 16, 2007
  3. brodsky

JasonCox

Maybe we could have a pool of URL addresses for different camera types that members contribute to....Most cameras don't list the URL address of the still image - and can be a pain to find.

JasonCox, Jun 19, 2007
  4. brodsky

ashleigh Moderator

Excellent idea - make a thread category and go for it.

ashleigh, Jun 19, 2007
  5. brodsky

brodsky

Thanks Ashleigh,

Not the reply I hoped for, but will see what we can do.

brodsky, Jun 20, 2007
Ask a Question