IP Camera

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Dak, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Dak

Dak

Hello,

Now that the Colour Touch Screen Flash Card Upgrades have commenced, and my CBUS installation at home is nearly completed, the one last thing I would like to do is set up two ip cameras.

What IP cameras would you recommend that will be compatible?

I plan to have one camera at the gatehouse to view visitors as they arrive, and another camera located in the backyard overlooking the pool, to keep an eye on the kids.

Thanks in advance,

Dak.

Dak, Jun 2, 2006
  2. Dak

JohnC

Me neither, it's the last thing I'd like to do either !

Just kidding - I couldn't resist :)

JohnC, Jun 2, 2006
  3. Dak

Dak

I hear you

Thanks JohnC.

It took me a while to pick up on that (queenslanders - much slower than you sydney folks), but I've still got a smile/smirk on my face!!

Dak

Dak, Jun 2, 2006
  4. Dak

Darpa

From what our mighty C-Bus lords have been saying so far, you will need cameras that use the "WinBond" brand chipset. I'm sure that one of the big boys from CIS will be able to tell you in more detail, and if not, then it would be a good idea to give technical support a call, but if you want to start now, when you are looking at cameras you like, simply check that its based on a "WinBond" chipset, and if so, there is a fairly good chance it will work, but as I said, check with one of the big fellas on here first.

Darpa, Jun 2, 2006
  5. Dak

PSC

Does anyone know what chipset the DLink DCS-5300 uses?

Or

Has anyone successfully connected the above camera to the colour c-touch?

PSC, Jun 4, 2006
  6. Dak

Darpa

Hey Peter,

Ive sent an email to D-Link to try and find out what chipset that model uses, but until I get a reply, here is a list of the manufacturers that I have found so far that make IP Cameras with WinBond chipsets:

Kingwave
    Acutvista
    Patatech
    Orite

I am no expert on the topic, so if anyone wants more information, I will do my best, but cant make any promises.

Darpa

Darpa, Jun 4, 2006
  7. Dak

PSC

Thanks Darpa, I appreciate your help. :)

PSC, Jun 5, 2006
  8. Dak

Dak

Thanks Darpa for the research.

I had a quick browse on the internet and could not seem to locate a supplier with the models you indicated.

Any ideas where the best place to find these cameras would be?
    Hardly Normal?, or a dedicated security/surveillance place?

Dak

Dak, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Dak

Darpa

I still havent heard back from D-Link, although I'm not really very surprised about that....

To be honest, I had never even heard of those 4 brands before I did a little searching online for cameras that used a Winbond chipset.

It would be very wise to contact CIS technical support and discuss this topic with them before purchasing any cameras, because as far as I can tell, having a Winbond chipset inside doesnt automatically guarantee that it will work with the CTC.
    Another thing is that while I have been looking across the net for cameras, I have found that almost NONE of the manufacturers include what type of chipset their cameras contain in any of theirt documentation, even the most detailed specification sheets!!! ARGH!!! I would DEFINATELY recommend contacting CIS Tech Support, and asking them what cameras they recommend, and what ones they used during testing.

Anyways, here is a list of websites for the brands I listed before, but I was unable to find any Australian distributors for them, maybe you will have better luck than I did.

ORITE:
    http://www.orite.com.tw/english/index.htm

KINGWAVE:
    http://www.kingwave.com.tw/

ACUTVISTA:
    http://www.acutvista.com.tw/

PATATECH:
    http://www.patatech.com.tw/

As you can see, they are all Taiwan-based... hmmmmm...

I've also found another manufacturer:

LONGSHINE TECHNOLOGY (based in Germany, but only one camera):
    http://www.longshine.de/longshine/p_multimedia.php?lang=eng

Will keep you all posted on anything new I discover, and will post whatever reply I get from D-Link on here as soon as I get it.

Darpa :)

Darpa, Jun 6, 2006
  10. Dak

Darpa

Here's what I just got from D-Link regarding your camera Peter.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :confused:

Darpa

Darpa, Jun 6, 2006
  11. Dak

Dak

Hello,

I spoke to CIS technical support (Terry - nice chap) who told me that NESS Security Systems did an IP camera that was compatible with the CTC.

Terry said that he would call me back if he had any further info - and he did.

His recommendations were to use the NESS Security Systems 100-310 Single Channel I.P Server (the server has the winbond chipset) which then allows you to use a much larger range of cameras. I'm no expert, but i think that means using "standard" cameras - coax into the I.P Server, not I.P cameras as such.

Can anybody shed more light on this for me.

Thanks

Dak, Jun 7, 2006
  12. Dak

daniel C-Busser Moderator

yes, the term "server" in the IP camera context generally means a black box of sorts which takes a number of coaxial (analog) camera inputs and makes them available via IP.

In addition I've seen IP cameras such as Netcomm NS4240 which have a few coax inputs on the back, turning them into a "server" as well (ie. 1 image from the built-in camera and others from the attached CCTV cameras). Though finding one of these with a Winbond chipset would be an interesting exercise :)

daniel, Jun 7, 2006
  13. Dak

Dak

Ok. So I am about to concrete core fill my gatehouse and carport blockwork and would like to put in place the necessary wiring for the I.P camera.

So to be safe, should I run cat5 and coax to where the camera will be installed, and run them both back to where my patch panels are located.

Do these cameras require a separate power feed - i assume the coax analogue cameras do, but an i.p camera may not as it may be able to get power via the cat5?

I'm just trying to cover all possible scenario's because its much easier obviously to run the cabling now then after I core fill the blocks.

Thanks in advance,
    Dak

Dak, Jun 7, 2006
  14. Dak

jr_away

Dak, most newer IP cameras have POE (power over ethernet) so you can just plug the camera in. Prices are dropping fast- yesterday I saw a $250 POE network switch that can detect and power 8 POE devices.

If you do end up going the coax route you can probably use the Cat5 to feed power to the camera.

jr_away, Jun 7, 2006
  15. Dak

ashleigh Moderator

It would not hurt to run a separate power line as well, if you are pouring concrete. Too much is far better than a tiny bit too little in these circumstances.

ashleigh, Jun 7, 2006
  16. Dak

Dak

Thanks for the recommendations.

Dak.

Dak, Jun 8, 2006
  17. Dak

znelbok

you could use the cat5 for power with an ordinary camera - just watch the current requirements and pair cores as needed. But as stated too much is better than too little so if you can afford the cable then go for it.

Do you PTZ functions?

mick

znelbok, Jun 8, 2006
  18. Dak

Darpa

Just a follow-up from my earlier posts,

I received an email back from D-Link today, and ALL of their IP cameras use an Inter-Video Chipset, so sorry Peter, but it looks like you're going to have to avoid the D-Link cameras for use with the CTC's.

Darpa :)

Darpa, Jun 8, 2006
  19. Dak

PSC

Well I guess it serves me right for using such an obscure, unknown brand like D-Link :eek: :eek: :eek:

PSC, Jun 8, 2006
  20. Dak

JohnC

Naughty me - I thought you were gunna say that it serves you right for using an obscure, unknown brand like C...

;)

JohnC, Jun 8, 2006
Ask a Question