Inverter ?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Clinton's Electrical, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Clinton's Electrical

Clinton's Electrical

Hi There, Has Anybody Had Any Joy With Running the C Bus Dimmers And Relay Of A inverter? in South Africa We Are Currently Having Lots Of Power outages And Generators Are All Sold out. So We use Quiet inverters Not to upset The Neighbors. We've Fitted Modified Sine Wave inverters to Normal homes 2Kw And More But i Have C-Bus the Old Type Light Blue/Greenish units And Was Wondering if Anyone Hase Tried A Sine Wave / Modified Sine Wave
    unit on the System?
    If not Would You Advise It? Any feedback Welcome (Dont Wqant To Blow up My units !!):eek:
    Thanks, Clinton

Clinton's Electrical, Feb 15, 2008
  2. Clinton's Electrical

froop

Hi Clinton,
    First things first, I have no electrical qualifications so I can only offer my opinions, not a professional recommendation :). I did study electronic engineering, but shifted to computer science half way through my degree :)

You can definitely run C-Bus off a true sine wave inverter. I friend of mine did so a few years ago on a bus he converted to a camper. He had a bank of car batteries which were charged off a generator, and they supplied power to his Cbus equipment via a true sine inverter.

As for a modified sine wave, I believe you can run relays through them, but I'm not sure how the dimmer units will work without a true sine wave.

froop, Feb 16, 2008
  3. Clinton's Electrical

Clinton's Electrical

Thanks Iv'e Heard a Pure Sine Wave inverter Is Ok But Most Cheap ( Affordable ) inverters Are Modified Sine Wave. As For The Relays They Controll Out Lights Heated Towel Rails, Pool, etc All Internal Downlighters Are From The Dimmers 2 x 2A 4ch , 1 x 1A 8ch So i Rekon A Sine Wave inv is The Answer, unless i Do Some Re wiring !!? Just Worried About The units / Power Suplies etc.. I Could Fit Another 12 ch Relay For Lights Straight And Not Through The Dimmers in The Event Of AC Fail. i Have A Minder Mk 2 ( Yep Still A Great Admirer Of Those units ) That i Could Program To BYPASS Dimmers And Just Give Me Lights on The Connected Motion Sensors. Has Anyone Done This ? Any Advise Appeciated.:rolleyes:

Clinton's Electrical, Feb 16, 2008
Ask a Question