Intergrating wired Cbus to google home.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanrussell40, Aug 25, 2018.

1. deanrussell40

deanrussell40

Hi,
    Im looking for some help. I installed a wired Cbus system into my house about 10 years ago. its been great and not troubles really at all.
    Ive been out of the game for a while and lost touch a little.
    Id like to have my cbus now integrated some hoe with Google home etc . I read something about installing c gate onto a raspberry pi then a whole bunch of other things.

has anyone got some advise tips instructions ect that i could use.
    Thanks heaps in advance.

deanrussell40, Aug 25, 2018
  2. deanrussell40

NickD Moderator

Do you have a Wiser2?

NickD, Aug 27, 2018
  3. deanrussell40

deanrussell40

No i don't at the moment. Was just reading up about that on line. seems this is a good place to start? would that be correct?

deanrussell40, Aug 27, 2018
  4. deanrussell40

daniel C-Busser Moderator

I looked into this briefly. What makes it challenging as a DIY endeavour is that in order to add a new product to the Google ecosystem you can't just integrate your own Home and your own instance of the product, you must formally support every single instance of that product in the world. You need to provide a 24/7 server that any Google user, worldwide, can authenticate and store data on.

For C-Bus, so far I believe only the third-party company called Smart Voice has implemented this.

There are still some workarounds for hobbyists - mainly by making C-Bus look like another product that is already supported. Hence the threads on these forums about installing c-gate on a raspberry pi, along with some custom code to map C-Bus to other protocols. But unfortunately there's no quick and simple solution yet.

daniel, Aug 27, 2018
  5. deanrussell40

deanrussell40

Interesting. what your experiences with Wiser2 Is it worth going down that track or a different one

6. deanrussell40

NickD Moderator

The reason I asked about whether you had a Wiser2 was that if you did, the simplest way to get Google Assistant integrated would be to contact SmartVoice (as Daniel suggested).

Nick

NickD, Aug 27, 2018
  7. deanrussell40

deanrussell40

Thanks. I think ill look more seriously about putting in Wiser then expand to Smartvoice.

8. deanrussell40

NickD Moderator

If you don't already have a Wiser, I'd suggest going with one of the new Automation Controllers instead. SmartVoice will also work with those and they will give you a fair bit more flexibility, albeit with a bit more effort required on the UI front.

Nick

NickD, Aug 28, 2018
Ask a Question