Interfacing the PC to the 5500PC problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fleetz, Jan 27, 2006.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I am having an issue with connecting the PC to 5500PC.

I am getting ready for a C-Bus training session in a week or so and doing the prelim stuff and getting the training stuff connected to the system ahead of the training.

I have a Dontronic USB to RS-232 interface. Running Toolkit 1.2. I have a L5512RVF connected to the 5500PC providing the power for the unit.

I went to install the USB-232 driver however when I plugged the USB-232 interface Windows XP immediately recognised the device and confirmed it is ready to use. No problems I thought this is easy! Anyway via "control panel" "system" "device manager" "ports" I can see it has assigned com7 so set this in the "set default interface"

I can not seem to get the set up to recognice the 5500PC any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jan 27, 2006
  2. fleetz

Richo

Ensure that you have connect the USB adapter and the com port "created" before starting C-gate (the console application that runs when you start Toolkit). If it is already running you will need to close it down and restart toolkit.

To close C-Gate close Toolkit and then type SHUTDOWN press enter and then confirm into the console window.

If that doesn't help, try running the diagnostic software http://www3.clipsal.com/cis/downloads.php3#Diag and see if that can communicate to the PCI.

Richo, Jan 27, 2006
  3. fleetz

darrenblake

PCI Connection issues

Hi Fleetz,

I also use the Dontronics USB to RS-232 adaptor, and it can be a little touchy.
    One thing i have recognised with mine is it needs to be plugged in once Toolkit is open, not sure why, must be something to do with enabling the virtual port. So, to make sure, i open Toolkit, plug the USB in, pull it out, and plug it in again.
    I have used the same USB adaptor for years now, it works perfectly on C-Bus, C-Touch, CBTI, and Homeminder.
    Also check you've got your hardware network burden plugged into somewhere. You will need this be able to scan the network.

darrenblake, Jan 27, 2006
  4. fleetz

Phil.H

Burden

The other boys have covered the C-Gate and Comms issues well. I will mention the easy bit. To communicate properly you need a valid/complete C-Bus network, this includes a unit to provide a clock pulse (PCI), unit to provide C-Bus newtwork power (powered output unit like relay or dimmer - make sure this unit has the C-Bus module powered with 240v) and a burden to terminate the comms physical layer.

If you do not have a plug in burden (plug in burdens are the way to go, the electrical characteristics of the discrete devices are better than surface mount components {that's my opinion} when one is plugged into a unit you can see it and don't have to guess whether one exists on the network or not etc), anyway where was I, if you do not have a plug in burden you can put your 'powered' output unit into learn mode and the burden will enable itself.

You can buy burdens in packs of 10. Money well spent...

Hope this helps... :)

Oops - just read the last sentence of Darren's post. Still stick to my view on 'Plug In' V's SMD burden though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2006
    Phil.H, Jan 27, 2006
  5. fleetz

fleetz

I can see the da light! Hallauya!

Network burden did the trick! I was under the belief that the network burden was default selected in the 5500PC. I thought it might have been a NB at one stage and went to pop the supplied network burden into the serial unit and the heat shrink fowled the mating. So I went back to the assumption that there was already a software enabled NB flashed in from the factory. Moral of the story is never assume!

Trimmed back the heat shrink with a Stanley knife about 3mm then the RJ45 slipped and clicked in an the system sprang to life.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction....appeciated.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jan 28, 2006
  6. fleetz

Duncan

I'll raise this issue with our Quality people on Monday.

Duncan, Jan 28, 2006
  7. fleetz

PSC

Dunc,

This has been a problem with every (Cbus hardware) burden I have ever used.

PSC, Jan 29, 2006
  8. fleetz

Duncan

Thanks, I'll let them know.

Duncan, Jan 29, 2006
  9. fleetz

Charlie Crackle

I second this. Every one I have seen has had this problem except one (the one I got at the training course).

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jan 29, 2006
  10. fleetz

NickD Moderator

Shrinking heatshrink is hardly a precise process... maybe we should be shipping a cheap box cutter with every burden :)

Nick

NickD, Jan 29, 2006
  11. fleetz

Darpa

You guys make me laugh :p

I know I'm a newbie, but I'm going through reading every post on here to learn as much as I can, and I have to say, considering how complex, time-consuming, and "Over the head of Mr Average Joe" this all is, its really nice to see a sense of humour to this place, you guys rock :cool:

Regards, Darpa

Darpa, Apr 30, 2006
  12. fleetz

JohnC

I have the same experience with the heatshrink.

But I don't use them anyway - to get my first network working I actually MADE one... it cost under $2 and it's a beauty, mate :D

JohnC, May 5, 2006
  13. fleetz

Phil.H

That's great for the first network. Once you have cranked out your 50th network I wonder if you will still be making your own burdens ;)

NickD had a good idea with the box cutter, I have a good idea, find the person responsible for the heat shrink and threaten them with violence if they don't trim them back a little. :D

Phil.H, May 5, 2006
  14. fleetz

PSC

Not cool Phil! :(

At Kool skool it's about luv, peace and internal happines man.

Peace Bro.

PSC, May 5, 2006
  15. fleetz

Ross

Pete,
    How are you going to back in the circle of trust posting flames to the boss?

Ross, May 5, 2006
  16. fleetz

JohnC

Wierd - I've never used a physical burden on a site, and have never had any problems. So, I only needed one burden to get started - now I have a collection of them ! I know that there are some people out there who don't believe that the internal burdens are any good. Oddly, I've found that most networks don't need ANY burden whatsoever since there is enough capacitance / inductance (or whatever it is) in the cabling.
    - I know that what I just said might be "technically incorrect".

Anway, I'm gunna go into business making Burdens - since there are so many people using them, I could give up my day job and make those instead ! For the price CIS charges, I could make them in different colours, and still make a fortune. Plus I could offer a new, innovative feature - 100% QA on the heatshrink, and a guarantee that I've physically tested by plugging each one into a Cbus relay :)

No, leave it alone guys - you are wrecking my hopes for a new career :cool:

EDIT : I'll call my company the "Beasts of Burdens" - and here's a pic of the first shipment :

[​IMG]

Note that I will follow the trend of producing them "off-shore"

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2006
    JohnC, May 9, 2006
Ask a Question