integration of audiovisual with cbus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by new123, Jul 22, 2012.

1. new123

new123

Hi. I am relatively new to cbus.
    We have a project in which another party have to integrate their AV system with our lighting system. We have a Monochrome Mark2 touchscreen, so we gave the serial port from that touchscreen. We have 5 scenes used in touchscreen to control lighting. They require hexadecimal codes of these scenes.
    How can I create these codes?? Please help me..
    Thank You:)

new123, Jul 22, 2012
  2. new123

tobex

What is the interface which controls everything ?

tobex, Jul 22, 2012
  3. new123

Darren Senior Member

It is not clear what you mean by this.

Is this other system going to be sending a scene trigger directly to C-Bus via a C-Bus PC interface?

Or is this system sending a message to the touch screen (you mentioned the touch screen serial interface) in order to trigger the scenes somehow?

Darren, Jul 23, 2012
  4. new123

znelbok

If they want to trigger events based on a scene being triggered on C-bus, then using a PAC or similar you can send out any string you like.

If they want to trigger the scene from their system then you may be able to do the same as above in reverse - have a string come in (any string) and then match that to which scene is to be triggered.

(PS - I am not familiar with the Mk2 TS so if it does not have this ability i apologise)

Mick

znelbok, Jul 23, 2012
  5. new123

brodricj

I think what the OP is saying is the AV system is intended for sending control commands to the lighting system, hence the AV system people need to know how to get their system to talk to CBUS. The OP has configured the CBUS lighting system with scenes, and it is these scenes that the AV system needs to invoke in CBUS somehow.

Perhaps the OP could look at the problem this way (this is how I've done it at home). I have a control system, an AV system, and a CBUS system. The control system talks to the AV system and gets it to do what it needs to do, and it talks to the CBUS system and gets it to do what it needs to do. The AV system and the CBUS system don't talk to each other. So if I want to play a movie (or do some other AV event) the controller sends a TCP/IP or serial command (via a gateway) direct to those devices that need to do whatever. When the lights need to be dimmed (or whatever) the controller sends an appropriately formatted command to a PCI via serial.

We are very fortunate as DIY end-users that CIS has made available to us such good documentation (in this case the serial protocol) whereby it is relatively straightforward to control CBUS from a 3rd party hardware.

brodricj, Jul 23, 2012
  6. new123

tobex

Seems like overkill. There are multiple server based platforms which use Android and iOS as the control interface.

Most AV systems run on IR.

It sounds to me as though he needs to define the server environment which handles all of the requests or at least the control panel brand.

There are many people here with libraries of information and detailed knowledge of how to send a CBUS compatible instructions down serial or ethernet.

While the request is not a difficult one. There may be an NDA needed to discuss the CBUS protocol and I recall that notations of the protocol are not permitted in the forum.

The alternative is to construct a pascal environment in the PAC module and to accept inputs from that.

A cheap alternative is to create a dry contact in the AV system and to determine the function of that input from CBUS programming.

You ask me to cook pasta and I give you dozens of pasta. Then you cant complain about getting spaghetti if you didnt ask for macaroni.

tobex, Jul 23, 2012
  7. new123

new123

Absolutely right you asre.
    I want to know the appropriately formatted command..how can I obtain it???

new123, Aug 7, 2012
  8. new123

Darren Senior Member

You still have not really explained how your system is set up and what you are trying to do. If you can answer my previous questions, we will be able to help.

Darren, Aug 8, 2012
  9. new123

new123

The other system is going to send hexadecimal codes to trigger each group in the scene. Yes, they sre doing this through a PC Interface.
    It is not sending message to touchscreen.
    How can I generate this hexadecimal codes is what I want to know..
    thank you

new123, Aug 14, 2012
  10. new123

Darren Senior Member

OK. I am confused about why you mentioned the touch screen if it is not being used for the scenes.

To control a lighting group address using a PCI, refer to the C-Bus Open Protocol documents. In particular, read the introduction documents and the lighting application.

Darren, Aug 15, 2012
Ask a Question