Installing Toolkit on PC without Internet access

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by more-solutions, Nov 29, 2016.

1. more-solutions

more-solutions

I'm installing Toolkit on a server without Internet access.

I have .net 4.6.2 installed but TK insists it can't install without first downloading and installing 4.5.2, which of-course it can't without Internet access. I have downloaded the offline installer and run that but it simply reports that 4.5.2 or a later version is already installed.

How do I work around this?

What is the installer checking to detect the .net version?

(This is a pretty urgent problem as I need to have this server communicating with C-Bus in the next few days!)

more-solutions, Nov 29, 2016
  2. more-solutions

more-solutions

Additional information: I am installing on Server 2012.

Following the same steps on my Windows 10 Desktop I don't get prompted to install .net Framework, so the OS version may be important here.

more-solutions, Nov 29, 2016
  3. more-solutions

daniel C-Busser Moderator

You're correct that the offline workaround is to install the framework yourself. That has usually worked. It may be a silly question but have you rebooted the server?

For all versions up to and including Windows Server 2012 R2 & Win 8.1 (NT version 6.3) the installer calls a third-party library to install NET 4.5.2 as needed. For higher NT versions ie. 10.0 the installer will skip the library entirely.

What framework was installed on the server? If it is a higher version you could try downgrading to 4.5.2. It's a long shot but possible that the server has NET framework 4.6.x installed and the third party library can't recognise it.

daniel, Dec 7, 2016
  4. more-solutions

more-solutions

Yes, we tried that and just about everything else!

4.6.2 was installed.

Manually installing 4.5.2 fails (because 4.6.2 is installed).

On Server 2012R2, 4.6.2, it turns out, is a pre-requisite for the entire desktop server GUI; forcing it to uninstall leaves you at a "DOS" command box after reboot. I did try to get .net and TK installed from there but failed miserably (and I had no confidence I'd ever get back to a working desktop).

We have managed to get around it by persuading site to open up a connection to the Internet from the servers for the duration of the install (they weren't happy about this though!).

I suspect that the easiest "solution" is a commandline switch on the installer to skip the .net framework check?

Looking through the documentation of the library you linked to, it looks like it supports bundling the installer, so it might also be possible to insert the .net installer into wherever the TK installer extracts to ready for install so that the .net installer is present when it reaches that step, but after a bit of playing I've been unable to work out where that would be.

more-solutions, Dec 7, 2016
Ask a Question