Installing C-Gate alone

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by kcampbell, Feb 27, 2006.

1. kcampbell

kcampbell

Hi,
    is there an easy way to install C-Gate alone? I have installed the latest Toolkit and Schedule+, however, when I installed then they installed the latest version of Java v 1.5 something. I have several other apps that I use that need specific versions of Java, which V 1.5 breaks.

The earlier versions behaved better, in that they allowed me to select which would run via the last page of the internet options diaglog. Version 1.5 doesn't seem to let me have any control over what version runs when called.

To get my other stuff working again, I have had to uninstall all Java and reinstall the two versions I want, causing quite a lot of grief when various settings went south with the Java classes.

I now have the computer back where I want it, except that C-Gate has gone... All I want to do now is install C-Gate by hand, because I know it can run on the Java versions I have. (Toolkit is still there, and I haven't used Schedule+ yet, it's not a big deal for this PC.)

Thanks

Kevin

kcampbell, Feb 27, 2006
  2. kcampbell

Richo

There is a partial install of Toolkit available that installs Toolkit and CGate, but not Java.

http://www.clipsal.com/cis/downloads/Toolkit/CBusToolkit_1_2_2_Partial.zip

However, it should be possible to specifically tell Java applications what Java version to load.

for example s I have the following versions of java installed:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06
    If I want to run cgate with any specific version of Java (and not the latest) I can specify the version I want to use when launching the cgate.jar.

For example If I want to run C-Gate using Java 1.4.2_07 I would execute the following command in a short cut or on the command line.

Code:
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07\bin\java.exe -jar C:\CLIPSAL\C-Gate2\cgate.jar
    Perhaps you will be able to do that for your other applications.

WARNING: Although the current release of CGate is still compatible with older Java versions. This WILL change. We have plans to move to the new features of the current Java version so it will have to be installed to work in the future.

Richo, Feb 27, 2006
  3. kcampbell

kcampbell

Never that simple...

Thanks, I'll try that.

It's never that simple though (as your example of starting with a directed version of Java).

I have one app that needs the old windows version of "java", which is hard enough to find as Microsoft have erased all trace of it from their systems (as I believe they were required to do by law...).

I have another, which is a "smart" device, when you connect to it, it looks for it's version of java and if a different version answers it's call (coming in from another machine, so we have no way of changing it) it downloads it's version [to my machine] even if it is out of date [which it is].

Java is a pet hate round here for that reason...

kcampbell, Feb 28, 2006
  4. kcampbell

kcampbell

Nope, can't do that

Hi,
    tried to install the version that doesn't install Java, but it stopped [before installing anything] saying it cannot find Java Runtime Environment version 1.5.0_00 or above - which of course I don't have...

kcampbell, Feb 28, 2006
  5. kcampbell

Richo

I that case you will probably have to investigate the second option above. Is there any reason you can't direct what version of Java the other applications use?

If not it is a serious flaw in the other products and leaves you system open to critical security flaws if you can't update.

Richo, Feb 28, 2006
  6. kcampbell

kcampbell

I'll try. One of the problems is that one of the apps is an interactive java app, mostly running on another machine, and I'm not sure what runs on my machine and what runs on it...

kcampbell, Mar 2, 2006
Ask a Question