Installer in Melbourne

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atomar77, Mar 2, 2006.

1. atomar77

atomar77

Hi,
    I've got a proposal done for a cbus installation but need to find someone who can install all the components. All programming is done by the company that did the proposal but they don't actually lay the cables.
    I rang a few of those listed on the clipsal website but they all just do commercial work and not residential.
    Can anyone recommend someone who could give me a quote to do the cabling work?

atomar77, Mar 2, 2006
  2. atomar77

Duncan

This is your house? You've had a proposal done for a C-Bus installation thats programming only? I'd be finding another company if they cant organise someone to do the hardware installation.. or at least put you in contact with someone whom they use regularly..

Duncan, Mar 2, 2006
  3. atomar77

[IL]NewGen

/omg *nodd, nodd* unless you've designed it urself of course

[IL]NewGen, Mar 3, 2006
  4. atomar77

atomar77

yes, it is my house. I suppose the company who did the design could contract someone to do the installation too but that just adds another margin on an already expensive system.

atomar77, Mar 3, 2006
  5. atomar77

JohnC

A couple of recommendations and hints...

Hi atomar77

When our company designs and quotes Cbus, we tend to leave clients in a similar situation. That is because we have technical & programming staff, but we do not have an licenced electrician on our staff. Of course, we have our "electrician friends" but often they are unable to quote due to current work commitments.

The fact that different companies do the 2 tasks doesn't necessarily matter, but you must ensure that the Cbus guys clearly document what has to be done to avoid the "we weren't told that" stand-off. We don't have any problems in ths regard, but then again we have learnt from our mistakes and have developed a clear and concise way of communicating the info to the electricians, and also getting info back from them.

We have found that most electricians have some experience with installation of Cbus and Data cabling - but it's always worthwhile making sure that they know all the ins and outs of Cbus installs... there are a few traps, particularly with how the C-bus side of the relays etc is wired as opposed to the load side. Also, a lot of electricians don't understand the concept of proper joining / termination of data cables (no mate, it's NOT OK to just twist them together and wrap a bit of tape around them!)

It's definitely worthwhile having one Circuit dedicated JUST for the Cbus power, so that if a circuit breaker (for the loads) trips out then it doesn't compromise the whole network. What you do in this case is to have all the left-side of the (DIN-rail mounted) C-bus relays and dimmers wired to that "C-bus circuit", then individual circuit breakers are used for the loads that are controlled by the right-side of the Cbus units. This keeps all the Cbus units with internal power supplies running if something happens on a load circuit, and also allows you to do work on only some parts of the house without affecting the Cbus in the whole house (make sense?)

Make sure you allow extra space in your switchboards for additional Cbus units. It doesn't cost that much more for a couple of extra rows in the switchboard, and it makes a heaps neater installation in future when you (inevitably) add a few extra loads.

Also ensure that lots and lots of spare load circuits are added... for example, for downlights in a lounge room... even if initially you think you only need one or 2 switching groups, wire the downlights back in pairs even if they are then "hard-wired" with 2 or 3 pairs of lights onto 1 Cbus channel. That allows you to split the groups up later by swapping a few cables at the Cbus devices, rather than wiring a compete new circuit. And don't get ripped off - 1.5mm TPS cable is less than 0.60c per metre, and it doesn't really cost any more to run 2 cables compared to running one ! Also run all "future" cables that you can think of (plus a few extra), as it saves heaps of money later.

I've sent a PM to you with name of an Electrician that our company uses in Melbourne. I have no personal contact with this guy, and cannot comment about the quality of his work, but at least it's a start !

John

JohnC, Mar 3, 2006
  6. atomar77

ben addison

I would love to help, but i am in the uk :(

My company designs and installs c-bus systems. Most of it is retro fit or part of a full rewire.

I could be up for a holiday in Oz ;)

www.benaddison.com

ben addison, Mar 10, 2006
Ask a Question