Initial Setup of 5000SM/2 module

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by Fred Rudolph, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Fred Rudolph

Fred Rudolph

Good day everybody

I have 2 of these modules that I need to set up so that they can just show me all the C Bus messages that is transmitted on its serial port.

The documents I have read is the " C-Bus Serial Interface User Guide" and the " C-Bus Lighting Control - Quick Start Guide"

The quick start guide uses the PCI PC Interface module, which is essentially a SM/2 with the RS232 hardware port added if I understand it correctly. Following the quick start guide is no problem and talking and programming the PCI also no problem. This document says you have to send the following commands to the PCI to get it working.

~~~<cr>
    A3210038g<cr>
    A3420002g<cr>
    A3300059g<cr>

Once I do this this module shows me all the C-Bus messages that gets transmitted on the network on it serial port. This is perfect and what I want.

Now On the SM/2 modules I can not get this to work. For this module I assume I should use the C-Bus serial interface guide.

They do not talk about these setup procedures anywhere. They do talk about all the parameters though.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind that might put me on the correct track.

1. How does the circuit look that I require program the SIM2. I get the feeling this might be my problem and that is why I don't get the same response from the SIM module as from the PCI module when I send the above mentioned commands. Is this circuit just a normal RS232 to TTL converter?

2. Is there any programming required from the factory default if I just want the C-Bus messages to appear on the SIM serial port as they get transmitted on the C-Bus system? So , I think I mean is basic mode sufficient?

Any help will be grateful.

Regards

Fred Rudolph, Sep 21, 2012
  2. Fred Rudolph

rhamer

The PCI and Sim modules have identical commands, so if it works on the PCI it will work on the SIM.

The SIM interface is 5v TTL but v2 will work on 3.3v

If you need to talk to/from it with RS232 then you will need a level converter like a MAX232.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 22, 2012
  3. Fred Rudolph

Fred Rudolph

Thank you very much, I thought as much. The only conclusion I can then make is that my interface circuit is not working at this stage. I am using an Arduino Uno micro controller board to try to talk to the serial interface of the SM/2. I Suppose I will have to build a dedicated RS232/TTL converter then.

Regards

Fred Rudolph, Sep 22, 2012
  4. Fred Rudolph

Darren Senior Member

If you have a microcontroller connected to the SIM, you generally do not use RS232 because you can connect them directly. The SIM uses digital levels rather than RS232 for exactly this reason.

Darren, Sep 23, 2012
  5. Fred Rudolph

Fred Rudolph

Thanks Darren

I meant I will have to build a special RS232/TTL circuit just for the initial programming of the SM, once the initial setup is done the SM can be placed with the micro-controller to do it's function there.

I was hoping I could do the initial programming via my USB/Micro-controller board.

Regards

Fred Rudolph, Sep 25, 2012
  6. Fred Rudolph

rhamer

That won't work.

As soon as you power off the SIM to move it, it will loose its settings.

Having said that you can program defaults, but that is not going to be enough.

Normally the SIM sits in its final circuit and the micro sends all the necessary init commands on startup.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Sep 25, 2012
Ask a Question