Inception to 5500 CNI commands

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by VinceT, Feb 11, 2019.

1. VinceT

VinceT

Hi There I am having trouble with the correct command to activate a group address in CBUS from my Inception alarm panel
    I have a USB to RS232 converter connected from the USB port on the inception to the CBUS CNI
    in Inception i have a prefix '\' for sent messages and a suffix '\r; for sent messages
    the text command is 0538007923BA which seem to be correct for my CBUS database but it is not triggering the lights for that group address

when the inception panel sends the command the CNI module led blinks like it is receiving something, anyone able to help?

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  2. VinceT

Ashley

Your checksum is wrong. Try 053800792327

Ashley, Feb 11, 2019
  3. VinceT

VinceT

Thats very much Ashley, so the BA should be replaced by 27?
    ill give that try, thanks

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  4. VinceT

VinceT

Hi Ashley, that didn’t seem to work, do you have any other suggestions ?

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  5. VinceT

Ashley

The command is correct, so there must be a comms issue. Has this ever worked before?

I suggest you hook the PCI up to a PC and run the Cbus diagnostic app. You can control groups directly from it and it will show you the command (minus the check sum). If this works, run a terminal emulator like Terra Term and try your commands via it. Once all that works, you will then need to find out what is actually coming from the Inception Panel. If you can hook that up to the PC you can also use Terra Term to see what the panel is sending. Of course this is all much easier if you have access to a serial line monitor.

Ashley, Feb 11, 2019
  6. VinceT

VinceT

Hi Ashley,
    I’ll try a some more trouble shooting with the a PC
    I did have this working with my old alarm system (Concept 4000) but was was programmed slightly differently.
    It’s been a while since I tampered with a CBUS system I did the training quite some time ago so I’m a bit rusty.
    Thanks again I’ll let you know how I go, cheers

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  7. VinceT

VinceT

Hi Ashley,
    I managed to get the CBUS diagnostic tool working and operating the required light group, sorry I had a photo but it would upload it said \0538007923<CR>
    GA 35 On
    I also managed to trigger the light group through Terra term using \0538007923 with no checksum or return, although the program seemed to lock up a fair bit.
    Just not sure how I can read what the inception alarm panel is spitting out as it only has a USB and so does my PC
    It’s seems I am so close but just missing a small piece of info, maybe in my alarm panel.
    Is the \r that I have programmed in my alarm panel the return or <CR>

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  8. VinceT

VinceT

Hi Ashley you wouldn’t believe it it’s working, I’m sure I have tried these commands before, maybe by connecting to CBUS utility it reset the 5500PC to standards settings?
    All I know it’s working so thank you so much

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  9. VinceT

VinceT

And no checksum which I’m not sure is correct, but it worked with checksum as well.

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  10. VinceT

Ashley

There is a setting in the PCI that controls whether or not it expects a checksum. From memory old versions (prior to V4.0) had it turned off by default. Do you know what version PCI you are using?

Also, the PCI has a number of setup options that controls it's behavior. Some of these options can be set by sending special single ascii characters. If these are sent by mistake the PCI can be put in a different operating mode. In general it is best to set up the PCI how you want it after it powers up. Unfortunately you generally can't tell when it powers up so the standard way of initializing a PCI is that whenever you don't receive any data from it in a certain length of time you resend the initialization data. It's all described in the Serial Interface Protocol manual which is available here:

https://updates.clipsal.com/Clipsal...oads/OpenCBus/Serial Interface User Guide.pdf

Ashley, Feb 11, 2019
  11. VinceT

VinceT

Thanks Ashley I did read that but I wasn’t sure what mode it was suppose to be in, the terra term program said it was in basic mode, so I’m thinking maybe that program set it back to standard mode.
    Also do you know how I would send a command to a group address to work as a timer, to say leave the light on for 60seconds then switch off

VinceT, Feb 11, 2019
  12. VinceT

Ashley

The protocol doesn't support timers (it can't really as the protocols don't maintain state). You have to do it yourself (the switches do this). I'm not familiar with the Inception panel so I don't know if that is possible. Generally this sort of stuff is done with a cbus logic unit (like the SHAC or Wiser etc), although it can also be done via a PC or these days with things like raspberry pi's talking to Cgate.

Ashley, Feb 12, 2019
Ask a Question