I need help to source a LARGE touchscreen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnC, Sep 9, 2005.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Hi all,

We have a client (friend of our company directors) who wants to have a touch screen in his house - not really for functionality, but far more importantly for the w*nk-factor :rolleyes:

We showed him the old C-bus B&W, twas far too small. Just gave details of the new 50x0CTC and that is far too small too ! Furthermore, a comment was made about the cost of the unit too, and that if he is going to pay that sort of $$ he might as well pay a bit more to get "something decent" !

So, what's the latest "best product" for a big touchscreen - I am guessing he'll be satisfied with a 12 or 15" but might want / pay for 17" or more ??? It's only going to be used for lighting control, and probably the time/work done on graphics is more important than anything else...

In our own showroom we have a 17" flush mount unit - I can't remember brand as it was sourced and installed by previous employee 2-3 yrs ago. We have been trying to discourage a big screen due to added complexity of running a separate PC, but the client is pushing us into it... perhaps there is now some kind of wall-mountable "tablet PC" or similar that provides an all-in-one solution ?

Any assistance, suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, John

PS: We're in Sydney, so local contacts would help us better, especially while selling oit to client. We may consider outsourcing that part of the job (T-screen graphics and programming) as it's going to be a big complex job I think !

JohnC, Sep 9, 2005
  2. JohnC

Richo

We have a very nice 52" Plasma screen with touch overlay in the office...very sweet! :D

But in all seriousness when you price up your "PC" based solution make sure you spec a good industrial grade PC (fanless, diskless, etc..). Also has the client expressed any preference to how much power he wan'ts this sucker to consume?

Richo, Sep 9, 2005
  3. JohnC

rhamer

Avisum in sydney (formally a division of Amtex) has the sort of thing your looking for, and they do the industrial type PC as well.

I have a 15" touch that I bought from them and I made a surround for it that is flush mounted in my kitchen wall, but you can just buy them now.

I think flush mounting is much better than hanging a screen on the wall.

I run Charmed Quark Controller on mine.

Have a look at this thread, http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809&page=1&pp=10&highlight=charmed+quark

and this http://www.integrate-oz.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3035

rhamer, Sep 9, 2005
  4. JohnC

dsamson

15" PC based touchscreen

I might be able to help you with this.
    We have designed a 15" PC based touch screen for C-Bus lighting control that also has TV, radio and interface for video intercom.
    If you are interested, give me a call on 0415 286677.

We are based in Sydney.

Daniel

dsamson, Sep 10, 2005
  5. JohnC

GeorgeKosmas

What you can do is get a standard computer (does not have to be very powerfull) and put in a cubbord nearby and then put a touch screen on a 17" or 19" touch screen on the wall and install HomeGate on the computer.

The computer will have to be hooked up to a PC interface through either serial or ethernet.

Homegate is programed with pretty much exactly the same software as the c-bus colour touch screen so it should not be hard.

Also with the computer you can run normal windows operating system on it so you can also intergrate web access, security, media center, etc. featurs in it which can help.

You can source the touch screen from a company called 3M, they are more industrial type of screen that are made for being put into a wall cavety (to allow for moisture damage).

If you need any more help please contact me (George) on 0412555933 and i can price you on the computer itself if you are having any problems finding a cheap one.

Regards
    George Kosmas

GeorgeKosmas, Sep 15, 2005
Ask a Question