How to update old B&W touch with new Firmware & PICED prog

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Darren, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Darren

Darren Senior Member

It is really much easier than you might be imagining.

Load your existing C-Touch project into PICED and download to the C-Touch unit. It will force you to upgrade the firmware at the same time.

Once you are happy that the new firmware is working fine with your existing project (there is no reason why it shouldn't), then make the changes to your project and download the new project.

Darren, Feb 15, 2006
  2. Darren

JohnC

Hi all,

I need to upgrade an old installation running a B&W Ctouch on Firmware 1.9 and also re-design and download a new scheme from PICED. My understanding is that to use PICED, I need to upgrade the firmware first - is that correct ?

It's a very large site that has NO switches at all - the whole thing runs off the Ctouch - therefore I have to make it work perfectly FIRST GO.

What procedures, etc should I use - are there any traps for new players ? Any recommendations on how to go about it ?

I am asking mainly because I've never done a firmware update, and I'm scared to death that if the upgrade fails I will have a whole site down ! In fact, I haven't used PICED either, but it all seems basically the same as the old program.

Is there any clear "how-to-upgrade" guide available for this?

Final Q - can I re-flash the firmware but leave the OLD programming in there - in other words, can I do the upgrade in 2 separate steps? And if so, do I update the firmware using Ctouch or PICED?

All advice / hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

PS: I am thinking that I will pre-program a Neo with a couple of Area GA's (say interior/exterior) as a kind of "master over-rider". That way, if the whole thing falls over at least I can switch on the lights manually.

JohnC, Feb 15, 2006
  3. Darren

Richo

Hi John,

I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure Darren will. But I wanted to say that I'm concerned that this site is solely reliant on a single CTouch and has no redundant control or backup. It would seem a risk to have the entire site so reliant on one point of failure. I would seem prudent to have a second CTouch (at least stored on site) preprogrammed any ready to go incase of failure.

But without knowing anymore about the site it may not be such an issue.

Richo, Feb 15, 2006
Ask a Question