How to pull a dun rail module apart

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by znelbok, Jun 1, 2005.

1. znelbok

znelbok

How to pull a din rail module apart

The bloody mice have pissed on another dimmer and now the c-bus power supply side is shot and pulls down the whole network. This is the second time they have done this too. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

How do I pull the covers off so I can clean it and try and fix it. It is an 8 channel din rail dimmer.

On another point. I have noticed that the plastic is cracking on all the din rail modules in the same place, in the moddle of the power supply end on the top side, right where the A/L is printed on them.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2005
    znelbok, Jun 1, 2005
  2. znelbok

Ferose

Hi,
    How to post a new thread in this C-bus forum, i have tried but my access is denied by the adminstrator.

give me a solution.

Ferose

Ferose, Jun 1, 2005
  3. znelbok

Duncan

Hi Ferose..

You look to be registered OK.. perhaps you were trying to post in a locked forum..

Duncan, Jun 1, 2005
  4. znelbok

Newman

Given that disassembly of the DIN Units voids the warranty unfortunately we can't advise how to disassemble them. It's quite a chore anyway because the front covers are glued on. I'm sure you could figure it out with a little perseverance but the unit may not be quite the same afterwards. At CIS there are "special ways" of disassembling the units to ensure no damage occurs.

If the power supply is dragging down the network then simply cleaning it probably won't help. The mouse pee has shorted something out and the unit has become damaged. The unit will need to be replaced or returned for repair.

The power supply does more than just provide power to C-Bus so removing it will mean the unit is useless. It also provides power to the load control so without the power supply you won't be able to control the loads. The only thing you could do with a unit without a power supply in it would be to program the C-Bus micro as when no mains is present the unit draws 18mA from C-Bus for this very purpose.

Newman, Jun 2, 2005
  5. znelbok

znelbok

Yeah the unit is out of warranty, hence the question. I think I will have to send it back for repair as it is not badly damaged and just replacing the power supply end should fix it in a matter minutes.

The loads still work by pressing the local button, just the cbus light does not come on and it draggs the rest of the network down. Power LED is on as well, so its not a big fault.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 2, 2005
  6. znelbok

znelbok

Well the mice managed to find a way in again despite all my efforts to seal the box up and have crapped all over my relay module this time.

Its out of warranty so I decided to separate the Power supply side from the relay portion of the unit to try and get all the **** out.

Well, the ribbon cable between the two sections came out, and the retainer clips decided to snap as well.

The plastic in these units is so brittle. As I mentioned earlier about cracking, its evident all over this unit as well.

Now I am down a relay unit with no funds for a new one so we are using candles for the imminent future - all because of a simple little retainer clip.

Oh well such is [my] life - gone to crap.

Mick

znelbok, Jul 17, 2011
  7. znelbok

znelbok

Do clipsal have the exchange program still running where you can give them an non-working unit and for a fee they give you back a refurb unit?

Mick

znelbok, Jul 20, 2011
Ask a Question