How to prove that a 5500NB is faulty

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Definitivedome, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Definitivedome

Definitivedome

Hello All,
    I have a b side of a network bridge going offline and I would like to prove that it is the issue.
    Thus far I have performed the following.
    1. Rebooted both NB and relay that connects to the b side of the NB.
    2. Tested the connectivity and specifications of the cbus cabling between relay and NB
    3. Transposed the cable at both ends of the relay and NB to their adjacent rj45 sockets.
    5. Once back on line checked the status of the cbus and validation of the termation
    4. Have not replaced the terminator at the relay..

Any additional help would be great.

Definitivedome, Aug 22, 2021
  2. Definitivedome

Pie Boy

You could try connecting to the b side of the network with pci and toolkit, and send commands /operate group address on the b side this would send them across the bridge, this would prove connectivity.

I also assume you have checked the nb programming in toolkit eg it is set to send from both sides (2 way)?

It sounds like above all you have on the b side is a relay, no input devices?

Pie Boy, Aug 22, 2021
  3. Definitivedome

Definitivedome

Thanks Pie Boy
    It is correct that on the B side it has purely a 8 channel Relay only - connected down at the pool shed.
    After the reboot of either one of both of the devices. I can establish communications between the A side and B side for some period.
    But over the coming hours or days ( it is not consistent ), The B side LED of the NB and the Cbus LED at the Relay go out and hence communication is lost.
    I reboot for either side - normally the NB as it is in the home and we have communciation between the input keypads and or touchscreen to control the outputs at the pool once again.

Definitivedome, Aug 22, 2021
  4. Definitivedome

Pie Boy

Hmm,
    it’s probably not the nb, I assume the relay is the only cbus unit on this side of the network with a cbus power supply included?
    a power supply issue could cause the network to go offline if there is no redundancy’s etc.

I would check cbus power supply’s, cbus voltages, clocks and burdens on the b network first

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Pie Boy, Aug 22, 2021
  5. Definitivedome

Definitivedome

Hey Pieboy,
    Just an update..
    The issue has been resolved .
    The left hand side port of the B side Network Bridge was the culprit. I moved it to the right socket and the device has been stable since.

Definitivedome, Aug 30, 2021
  6. Definitivedome

Memphix

Interesting... I had a large commercial site that was experiencing exactly this. A simple power off on the 5500NB would get comms alive for anywhere up to 12 months. However, pointing the finger at the 5500NB the first visit, we conclusively replaced the 5500NB... still having the same problem with a replacement. Tech support advised trying yet another new 5500NB and returning the other for a stress test.

Memphix, Oct 18, 2021
Ask a Question