How to monitor power factor on each load?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ewiz, Aug 14, 2020.

1. ewiz

ewiz

Hi all,
    I'd like to monitor the exact power factor on each load on my cbus2 network (see below/attachment).
    I thought the network would have this functionality built in but I seem to be mistaken. It would seem folks use the C-Bus Current Measurement Unit (5504CMU). However, that only seems to be a clamp to measure loads into the dimmer packs, but not individual loads. What's common wisdom to get that finite energy monitoring? Thanks in advance, Enda

upload_2020-8-14_13-9-58.png

ewiz, Aug 14, 2020
  2. ewiz

chromus

What are u looking to gain by monitoring each channel? If we understand your situation better we can answer you more reliably

chromus, Aug 15, 2020
  3. ewiz

Ashley

Do you really mean power factor, or just power?

Also, if it's a dimmer, you know what it's connected to so what are you trying to gain by measuring it?

Ashley, Aug 15, 2020
  4. ewiz

ewiz

I'd like to understand which parts of the house (garden, bedrooms, day rooms), which scenes (night light, at home, away) and which times of day/season use most energy. I mean power (wattage).
    I'm trying to cut down on my energy bills in general and contemplating putting in solar panels, but first I'd like to get a better understanding of exact power usage.

ewiz, Aug 15, 2020
  5. ewiz

JasonY00

Hi Enda,

I have a current measurement unit which I use to monitor each phase of my home and my dumb aircon unit to feedback if the fan coil or compressor are on. Short of using one to see what amount the current changes when you turn each load off and on (which shouldn’t change from one day to the next given that your CBus is generally hard wired) I guess you could write some logic to log the change in current every time a group address turns on/off and work backwards.

If you only want to work out power usage it’s probably something you would only need to do once or very rarely. I’m thinking that things like your fridge, electric oven, dryer, washing machine, microwave, aircon, electric heaters, etc that are not CBus loads would be the biggest power users in your home. Given that most of your c-bus loads are probably lights, changing them to c-bus compatible LEDs would also reduce your power usage if you haven’t done this already.

The power factor you are referring to is the difference in phase between the AC current and voltage in your home. It’s a number between 0-1 and something that the supply authority adjusts for with huge capacitor banks at their sub stations to always deliver billable “real” power to you. It will change with the level of inductive loads (mostly ac motors ) in your home. I don’t think knowing that will help you much in saving power as the phase difference would not be large in a domestic home. Start with when and how often you use your larger appliances and their wattage sometimes quoted in VA then divide by 110/220V (depending on which country you are in) to get your current.

You can buy small devices with a current meter that you plug into the power point and then plug your appliance into it to measure the current usage.

If you ultimately decide to go solar, put in a battery, have it programmed to supply load at peak and shoulder times and if it needs a top up beyond what your solar can provide do it at off peak times depending on the rules of your local supply authority. You will get more back than “selling” it back to the grid.

If you have 3 phase and decide to go solar/battery be careful what kind of solar/battery solution you go for as there are some gotchas!

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Aug 24, 2020
Ask a Question