How to Instructions -5500NAC to SmartThings (Zigbee & Z-Wave)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by AntDwyer3875, Jan 13, 2020.

1. AntDwyer3875

AntDwyer3875

Can anyone provide any clues as to how I might integrate my existing 5500NAC with SmarthThings so that I can automate Zigbee and or Z-Wave devices specifically door locks?
    It's frustrating that my continued investment into the Cbus ecosystem seems fraught with roadblocks everywhere and very few in the community really knowing how to make to sing!

AntDwyer3875, Jan 13, 2020
  2. AntDwyer3875

Pie Boy

This is how I plan to do it Zigbee to> MQTT , MQTT to> SHAC, have ordered the parts just waiting for them to arrive.... Take a look at https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io.
    I think to get a ZigBee dongle working on the SHAC would be possible but not easy, you would have to find a dongle that works first. I'm going for the less time consuming way, for me anyway.

Pie Boy, Jan 14, 2020
  3. AntDwyer3875

AntDwyer3875

Interesting can you update this post once you get the parts and configure. Ordering all the parts and following these instructions seems pretty straight forward. The next steps integrating into the SHAC is where I'm unsure.

AntDwyer3875, Jan 21, 2020
  4. AntDwyer3875

Bigdave

Any news on this one?

Bigdave, Aug 14, 2020
  5. AntDwyer3875

Pie Boy

Yeah, i have it working with the zigbee2mqtt, that was easy to set up and commission as it is well documented.
    I have the SHAC connecting to the mqtt topics and receiving the payload on event basis.

The only thing is the range on the Zigbee side is subject to environmental conditions and in my case is about 15m diameter with the C2531 through walls etc all my devices are <15m in range to the C2531 so all good here, there are some devices that can act as a repeater of the Zigbee signal, but i haven't tried any.
    you can see all supported devices here https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/supported_devices.html
    i have 8x https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/WSDCGQ01LM.html and
    4x https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/RTCGQ01LM.html
    both devices are < $18 ish delivered
    I was well impressed with the pir's as there is zero latency and the cbus relay chanell switches as fast if not faster than a hard wired cbus sensor like the 5735xxxxx etc
    i have the mqtt messages from the temp sensors passed through to the measurement application then are using them to maintain heating in each room.

Pie Boy, Aug 15, 2020
  6. AntDwyer3875

KevinH

I am about to explore both zigbee2mqtt and openzwave2mqtt.

The OP was about SmartThings - is there a way to use either of these with ST ? Aside from very laborious config with the ST MQTT kludge workaround ?

I use Hubitat's Elevation hub which is a local network implementation very similar to ST. I have written an HE MQTT app for that. It supports auto discovery of MQTT devices using the homie or HomeAssistant statestream protocol and publication via homie or HA MQTT Discovery. I am considering supporting zigbee2mqtt and zwave2mqtt .but not yet certain if that's appropriate or useful.

Better might be to implement homie or the HA MQTT discovery protocol on the SHAC to auto discover devices between the two systems. I might look at that if there's interest.

KevinH, Sep 8, 2020
  7. AntDwyer3875

SgrAystar

For anyone with a Smartthings Hub take a look at MQTTDevices from TAustin https://community.smartthings.com/t/integration-solutions-using-mqtt

In my case I use @ssaunders acMQTT for C-Bus to Mosquitto & Home Assistant, plus an Aeotec Hub and Heavy Duty Smart Switch for pool pumps.

To link them together:
    Load MQTTDevices on the hub, create a new virtual device, set the subscribe & publish settings for the virtual device to match acMQTT.
    Add routines on the hub like 'if VirtualDevice is on/off set RealDevice on/off'
    Done.

SgrAystar, Jan 12, 2024
    ssaunders likes this.
Ask a Question