How to find IP address of coded/used 5500CN

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by tobex, Oct 15, 2010.

1. tobex

tobex

I had the good fortune to purchase a used 5500CN and no matter which poke tool I used I could not find its IP address.

I wrote down the MAC address from the sticker on the module and then I went into the network router (Netgear N600) and clicked on ATTACHED DEVICES.

There in the list of devices was my 5500CN identified by the MAC address same as on the sticker. Next to that was its IP address.

I then manually coded the LAN port on my PC to be in the same subnet as the 5500CN. I took my ethernet OFF DHCP and went into manual config mode.

for example: 192.168.10.16 was the interface. So I made my pc 192.168.10.17 . you only need a subnet mask and nothing else. The GW and DNS are only for internet usage.

I then entered the interface as per normal and recoded all of the settings. In my case I went directly to the IP address with my browser and saw that I had the Lantronix menu selections which made it very easy.

While i was there I decided to download all of the possible updates for UDS-10 from Lantronix and was able to upgrade the LAN PORT firmware and COB file using the latest tools from lantronix. I also upgraded my redirector and setup manager.

In the event that you can not use this method, try to enable "RIP-2" in the information gathering section of the router. The exact location of this menu varies with every model. RIP is a protocol that scans the network looking at what everything is called. It then adds this information to the list of known objects and publishes that information in the ATTACHED DEVICES list.

I can not see in C-Bus Toolkit a RESET tool and the POKE utility that came with the main port software could not track down the actual unit using the MAC address input.

I hope this helps for sites where you have a legacy installation and want to take over some parameters.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    tobex, Oct 15, 2010
  2. tobex

Lucky555

Lucky555, Oct 16, 2010
  3. tobex

Conformist

Download the IP utility from the CIS web site. It works with the Lantronix interface too

Conformist, Oct 16, 2010
  4. tobex

tobex

I have reason to believe that once the unit is coded and used and then migrated to a new subnet that it ceases to be located.

For example:

Class A subnet: 10.0.0.x - 10.254.254.x / SM: 255.0.0.0 all IP object in this range can be scanned with an IP tool.

Class C subnet: 192.168.0.x / SM: 255.255.255.0 is a restricted SOHO IP range which is extremely common.

I found out the hard way that when using a class C range all the packets relevant for the 5500CN were ignored. As it turned out, the IP address was 192.168.10.16 which could only be seen by the router.

The ping packets dont even work on this setting and the browser does not see it. This is due to the subnet mask setting. If I made the subnet mask a Class A mask then it might work. Just depends on the lan topology.

It would have been much easier if I inserted ClassA address into classA network. It would certainly find it very easily. However, I found that the special tools on offer could not located the used module in my personal Class C network. Hence the report of my findings. :)

I hope it helps !

tobex, Oct 16, 2010
Ask a Question