How to connect a Single Channel Relay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rakesh_k_v, May 17, 2007.

1. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

Hello friends,

In a hotel room we are controlling the supply using a Key Card switch( When you insert a Card supply gets in, if removed supply goes OFF).

By using a Single Channel Relay(5101R) I want to control a Lighting circuit ( below 10A).

I want to switch ON the lights when I insert the Card. And I also want to control the lights ON/OFF from my bedside switch. when i remove the Card the lights should go off. But when i reinsert the card the Lights should be ON irrespective of its previous status.

How can i program the relay for this function?

Can i place the Single Channel Relay(5101R) inside the Electrical DB?

what type of switch i have to use for controlling the lights?

can i use a conventional switch for controlling the switching, by connectng the relay as a standalone unit.

does the relay takes current from the c-bus network? Am i required to use a power supply?

I am confused about this...
    Please help me to solve this problem....

rakesh_k_v, May 17, 2007
  2. rakesh_k_v

Newman

The 5101R unit requires both mains power and C-Bus power to be connected to operate correctly. It is not a stand-alone unit, it can only be part of an operational C-Bus network.

Based on your description it sounds like you'll need a key card switch that has a dry contact output. Connect this output to one of the input terminals of a C-Bus Bus Coupler and program it so that it turns the C-Bus Group Address On when the input contact closes.

For the switch inside the room, you can either connect a conventional switch to one of the spare inputs of the Bus Coupler and assign it to the same group address, however you'll need to program that key differently. A better way is probably to use a standard C-Bus Key Input Unit for the in-room switch and just assign it to the same Group Address as the relay. You'll also get feedback on the switch indicators if you do it this way.

You will, of course, require a C-Bus Power Supply to provide C-Bus power.

Whether you can put the 5101R unit inside a DB will depend upon the local wiring rules where you live, so you'll need to check that one out yourself. One issue to keep in mind is that the C-Bus cable must be isolated from the mains cable, since C-Bus is Safe Extra Low Voltage. The pink sheath of the C-Bus cable is specially rated for use within switchboards, unlike a lot of the regular Cat-5 data cable out there.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
    Newman, May 22, 2007
  3. rakesh_k_v

paulw11

Hi,

You can use a Clipsal 6200KT key card reader connected to a C-Bus coupler or Auxiliary input unit.

If you have a convenient wiring cupboard/switchboard location you would probably find that the DIN relays offer better value for money - 12 5101Rs cost more than a 12 channel DIN relay with a CBus power supply.

A DIN mounting Auxiliary input unit that could support 4 6200KTs costs only a little more than a two channel bus coupler that could only support 1 room (due the limited cable length allowed between the key unit and the bus coupler).

The programming of the bus coupler or auxiliary unit would be set to "Bell Press" in toolkit - on when the contact is closed (card present), off when the contact is open (card removed).

If you wanted to use conventional switches then you would just wire the relay in series with the supply, but as Newman said there are advantages to using C-Bus switches.

Playing Devil's Advocate, why not just use a 2036CC 250V rated card switch in line with the load and avoid C-Bus altogether? If you don't have any other automation integration requirements & don't want to use C-Bus switch units this may be simpler, although it wouldn't turn the load on if the light switch was "off".

Of course with C-Bus you could do "clever" things such as disable power to a room if no-one was "checked in" via an interface with the hotel management software or even provide a delayed off where lights stayed on for 30 seconds after the key was removed.

Paul

paulw11, May 22, 2007
  4. rakesh_k_v

rakesh_k_v

thank you for your kind information
    thanks a lot to all my friends

rakesh_k_v, May 22, 2007
Ask a Question