How thermostats work through network bridges?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by nickrusanov, Feb 3, 2009.

1. nickrusanov

nickrusanov

Can I work with thermostat inbuilt system IO through network bridge? We have a 1 colour touchscreen, 2 networks and 6 thermostats on the floor. Is it possible to control and monitor thermostats from other network?

And second question: how many thermostats can I have in one network?

thank you

nickrusanov, Feb 3, 2009
  2. nickrusanov

ashleigh Moderator

Two answers:

- Probably the easiest way to control AND monitor a thermostat on a remote network is to set one of the application addresses in the bridge to 172 (hex AC) and then check the "Send to adjacent network" option. Start setting this in the primary - if that is used, set this number in the secondary. DO THIS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BRIDGE !

- If you only want to control a thermostat in remote network without monitoring it, then just set up the touchscreen so that the thermostat control applies to the remote network. Commands will be transmitted to that network (and the thermostats) but not back. So you get control only but the two sides will not be synchronised. This option is not so good because of this lack of synchronisation.

As for how many on a network. I can't remember exactly. Maybe Newman can answer that one. I think it is more than 20 (should be enough for anybody).

ashleigh, Feb 3, 2009
  3. nickrusanov

Newman

Electrically, the limit is 50 Thermostats per network (regardless of model).

As far as network communication goes, 50 Thermostats are going to create a LOT of network traffic, so much so that your network will almost certainly be clagged with traffic. To overcome this problem you'll need to back off the Refresh Time on the C-Bus tab in Toolkit on all the Thermostats. The exact amount will depend on how many Thermostats there are on the network but I'd probably set it to at least 5 minutes, for 50 thermostats, and scale back from there.

Newman, Feb 4, 2009
  4. nickrusanov

nickrusanov

thank you for the good answers!

i've got three more about our future commercial project:

1. if i have 10 networks, each has 5-10 thermostats. will i be able to control and monitor all of them from schedule plus (10 nets, ver.4) software?

2. is it possible to turn on-off from the schedule plus the ability to change the setpoint temperature manually?

3. Does OPC server software support control and monitor thermostats in remote networks?

Thank you!

nickrusanov, Feb 4, 2009
  5. nickrusanov

ashleigh Moderator

Yes. But if you do this I would STRONG suggest you make those 10 networks each connected with a CNI to an ethernet backbone. This way you avoid having a total of 50 to 100 thermostats all talking over a common cbus backbone, which will impact total performance.

You mean... can you prevent a thermostat from having the set point changed... so set it centrally and then not allow change (apart from changing it from the central point).

If that is the case, the answer is no. The thermostats always allow the set point to be changed from the thermostat.

No. If you want this, register your need and it may be added in a future enhancement. But there are no promises about when, or if, this might happen.

ashleigh, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question