How laggy is the 5500CN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ievolve, Mar 21, 2010.

1. ievolve

ievolve

I would assume that the direct serial/usb connector is somewhat faster that the ethernet interface. Is the 5500CN noticeably laggier?

Also I am assuming that the 5500CN plugs into the c-bus side and into a router so any IP enabled device can talk through it to c-bus?

ievolve, Mar 21, 2010
  2. ievolve

Newman

I've never been able to pick the speed difference between any of those devices. The data rate that the various software tools communicate with the C-Bus interface is 9600 baud, which is quite a bit slower than the 10Mbit Ethernet device in the 5500CN. Internally, the 5500CN uses 9600 baud too.

Any Ethernet device that can open a socket connection can talk to the 5500CN. Be aware that the 5500CN can only accept a single connection at any given time. If you want to have multiple devices communicating to a C-Bus network over IP you should consider a Wiser, as the Wiser can handle multiple connections and then sends the requests across it's C-Bus interface.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
    Newman, Mar 21, 2010
  3. ievolve

ievolve

Good to know, thanks newman. I was looking at a using some flush wall mounted iPad/iPod as "smart" keypads to my system. I'd certainly want more than one.

If I was running C-Gate with the 5500CN and had my iPad/iPod's talking to c-gate then in effect I would be doing the same thing as wiser... many endpoints connected to 1 c-gate, then 1 cgate talking to 1 5500CN, is this correct?

ievolve, Mar 22, 2010
  4. ievolve

ashleigh Moderator

You can also use cgate. This will allow multiple clients to access the bus through one CNI, or PCI.

Cgate will also handle more for complex topologies where there might be many CNIs or PCIs.

ashleigh, Mar 22, 2010
  5. ievolve

ashleigh Moderator

Correct.

ashleigh, Mar 22, 2010
Ask a Question