How can I become a C-Bus Accredited Installer or Integrator?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by microchip78, Mar 14, 2008.

1. microchip78

microchip78

Hi C-Bus Experts :) ,

I am newbie in Home Automation. By qualification & experience I am electronics engineer with some electrical and power system exposer. But I am not certified electrician. I am currently working as a Embedded System Developer / Programmer in Automotive Industry, developing and programming body controls for CAR and 4WD.

I am interested to become C-Bus Accredited Installer or Integrator... :)

Can anyone advise me what are the steps involve in it?

Do I have to have electrician license to work as C-Bus Installer or Integrator?

What courses I have to attain? And how do I apply for Accreditation?

Thanks in advance.

microchip78

microchip78, Mar 14, 2008
  2. microchip78

Newman

Newman, Mar 14, 2008
  3. microchip78

filpee

You dont need to be an electrician to program CBus but theres a few things you wont be able to do (replace devices, open switchboards etc).

I would recommend getting at least a restricted electrical license and attending Clipsal's programming courses.

filpee, Mar 14, 2008
  4. microchip78

microchip78

Thanks filpee,

I think you are right... A restricated electrical license help me to open switchboard and replace some of the devices without calling licensed electrician.

What are you doing filpee? Have you attended this Clipsal C-Bus Training Course?

MC78

microchip78, Mar 16, 2008
  5. microchip78

filpee

I am a qualified Electronic Technician. The license came as part of that training which i renew every 5 years.

As an integrator, myself and a few others in our company have attended all the training courses by CIS.

I am not sure how to go about getting a restricted license but I would try your state energy commission first.
    Read up on the license too. Its intended just for Disconnect and Reconnect of Motors for plumbers, Aircon fitters etc but it does cover techs who need to remove the lids on amplifiers, tvs and other electrical equipment.
    Rule of thumb I use is if its connected to a plug top then I can work on it.

filpee, Mar 18, 2008
  6. microchip78

microchip78

Sorry to bother you again ...

Ya thats exactly what mentioned in Restricted license description here in VIC.

But as a CIS installer don't we ever need to go beyond the plugs and need to open switchboard and wired devices (specially CIS Output devices) directly with mains or phase? Can we do that with restricted electrical license?

Thanks once again.

MC78

microchip78, Mar 19, 2008
  7. microchip78

ICS-GS

First up... disclaimer... i am a licensed electrician.... now...

It is a little bit concerning that you appear to hold a restricted license and do not correctly understand the limitations of that license.:eek:

From my memory, when all this was introduced (in Victoria), it allowed a person to disconnect, a unit and replace it with a unit of IDENTICAL size type and rating. (i.e. it was intended for a plumber to be able to remove a faulty hot water service, and replace it, nothing more), back then i recall that even if the terminal arrangement was different, in the replacement unit they had to get it checked by a licensed electrician.

This was so that there were no issues with current capacities on cables, breakers, installations being exceeded, etc...

There may be some additional info at www.esv.vic.gov.au. on the differing types of licensed, and what is able to be worked on, but i have not looked in recent times. But if not give them a call, they are always most helpful every time i have a question.

But my best advice is that if you feel that what you may be doing is pushing the boundaries or if you are out of you comfort zone, DON'T DO IT. The funny thing about electricity is that you can't see it, or smell it, but you can touch it! so generally there is no prior warning signs that something is not right.

(Well actually you can see it, if you stuff things up while the power is off, and then turn it back on, but you only get to see it for a fraction of a second! And you can definitely see the damage afterward.)

This by no means is intended to be a slanderous comment by an elitist electrician, but a comment from seeing too many people with little regard or respect for the consequences of working with electricity, and getting hurt.

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Mar 19, 2008
  8. microchip78

filpee

I agree. Up till now I was only concerned with working on televisions and amplifiers etc which is what my Restricted License shows that I am competent to work with.

Restricted to Undertake: Communication/Computing Equipment
    Competent to Undertake:
    • Disconnect and reconnect fixed wired equipment
    • Locate and rectify faults in 240V equipment
    • Attach flexible cord and plug to 240V equipment
    • Attach flexible cord and plug to 1000V equipment

I have never needed to Disconnect and reconnect fixed wired equipment before so my rule of thumb holds true (if its connected to a standard 3pin mains plug then i can work on it)

Now that I am working on CBus gear I do need to read up on what I am allowed to do. In saying this any removal, swaps or new installs I leave up to the fully licensed electricians.

There appears to be about 8 different categorizes of restricted licensing covering Electronic Techs, Plumbers/Gasfitters, Refrigeration/Aircon workers and Instrument Fitters. But be sure to check in your state as each state may be slightly different. (I'm located in Perth)

filpee, Mar 19, 2008
  9. microchip78

amberelectrics

Sounds like you guys have a similar system to our Part P setup in the UK. There are three grades here to allow work to be done by other trades, such as bathroom or kitchen fitters and allow some crossover for plumbers. I do tend to find though that most trades just call in an electrician to do the competent work, its quicker and easier.

It makes it difficult for everyone and the customer pays the price, on the other hand, having seen some real shockers (hahaha no pun intended), I can definitely say its worthwhile all round.

We just had a new set of regs issued too, and its oh so much fun.

amberelectrics, Mar 19, 2008
  10. microchip78

Scotty Guest

C-Bus Installer

contact your MELBOURNE Office

Scotty, Apr 5, 2008
Ask a Question