hot days lights all come on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goff elec, Nov 18, 2011.

1. goff elec

goff elec

Hello all, i have just had a client tell me that their installation (not installed by me) has a problem during hot days. the dimmers and relays are installed within the garage and are meant to be in a cool place but during hot weather she said that all the lights go red on the dimmers and that all the lights will turn on at once. I remember hearing something about this but for the life of me i cannot remember what it was. I have not been to the installation yet but i know it is something fairly simple... please any suggestions?
    :eek:

goff elec, Nov 18, 2011
  2. goff elec

Newman

The lighs on the dimmers are most likely going orange, not red. None of the C-Bus DIN Rail dimmers or relays use red indicators. If the dimmer channels are going orange, then the dimmer must be a Universal Dimmer, as the other DIN dimmers use green indicators.

The most likely cause for this is the remote override circuit making a connection somewhere. 2 of the pairs in the cat-5 cable are for regular C-Bus comms and the other two are the remote override connection.

To confirm if it's the remote override, the C-Bus Unit LED will be blinking with a 90% duty cycle (on for 90% of the time). It would also be interesting to know if it's just a single dimmer, all the units in a panel, or all units in the installation that are going into override mode.

If it's just something that occurs at that dimmer then it's quite possible that it's just some contamination at the connectors. It's possible that it's a bad 8P8C termination (RJ45) and, when the conditions are right, the bad connection is made. It's also possible that there's some dead wildlife inside the dimmer somewhere that, under some circumstances, is creating a short and making the unit think it's remote override circuit has been tripped.

This thread had a similar issue.

Newman, Nov 18, 2011
  3. goff elec

goff elec

Cheers

Newman, I think you might have it. Could be something as simple as damaged cable. I totally forgot about the manual over ride. Thanks for the advise. :)

goff elec, Nov 19, 2011
  4. goff elec

brett_lynn

are they DIN mounted dimmers / relays or are they "black box" units?
    roughly how old is the installation??

Im in Melbourne if you need any pointers / help

Cheers

brett_lynn, Nov 20, 2012
Ask a Question