Homeminder to CBUS Integration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by floripa, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floripa

floripa

I have just taken over an 8 storey commercial site with CBUS and a Homeminder controller doing the time scheduling etc. The client wants to control everything from a front end (the BMS PC that we already maintain). Can someone please help me with suggestions on what software to run and where to connect into in order to scan the CBUS network and also modify the time schedules on the Homeminder.

My thought was to run a CAT5 back to the nearest relay module and then put a PCI at the BMS PC and run toolkit or something like Thinkbox. Just with Homeminder I am unsure whether I can change any settings on it at all unless connected directly, and through what software will I need to do this.

I have scanned the network using Toolkit and can see all devices (there is a network bridge splitting the site) along with the Homeminder although it has no properties I can modify. The company who did the original installation has disappeared and I have no files or other information for the setup or configuration.

Certainly appreciate any input you can offer.

Thanks;
    Scott.

floripa, Jul 4, 2006
  2. floripa

JohnC

Couple of things...

1. Be careful to always "connect" to the network from the same "place". By that I mean... Always scan and program from the same Network, because connection and commands to other network(s) are routed dependant on your connection point. So if you scan and save the config from a connection to Network A, and then try to use that scan for control when connected to Network B, if won't work properly or as expected.

2. I'd personally dump the HomeMinder and use a CNI (Network Interface) and Clipsal's Homegate or Schedule Plus software. One reason for suggesting that is because I know nothing about Minder, and a lot more about C-Bus software solutions.

That would mean all the schedules were done ny the BMS PC, and could be edited there. Also, a custom interface could be designed that provided the client with only the things they "wanted to see"... the more advanced stuff could be hidden and/or given different User Access Levels.

The reason I suggest the change over is that HomeMinder is no longer supported by Clipsal, whilst the various software solutions are continuously being updated. So, with Minder it will stay where it is now, whilst using Clispal Software to replace the Minder you will be able to keep the site continually Up-to-date.

I am not aware of any function that can be done in Minder and can't be done in the latest software... Minder was a bit of a stop-gap measure used years ago to get around some programming, logic and scheduling limitations of the C-Bus offering of that time. A lot has changed since then :)

I'm sure some others here can be more helpful about the specifics of this, and offer ideas for Minder-based solutions.

Cheers, John

JohnC, Jul 4, 2006
  3. floripa

PSC

This is news to me

Wow JohnC, a "stop-gap"??? Interesting. It must have been the world?s most successful stop-gap in the history of home automation. We still install Minder controllers along with many other integrators. Oh, and to answer your question regarding functions that Minder can do that can't be done in the latest software; well "ignore" for starters.

Yeah, contact an experienced Minder programmer / integrator to perform the required changes.

Apparently JohnC is a little busy at the moment ;)

PSC, Jul 4, 2006
  4. floripa

_____.

If you wanted to edit the setting in minder from a local PC you would need to be connected directly into minder using what ever version of minder/thinkkbox software the controller was programmed with.
    The minder software isn't an end user software package and shouldn't be used a one.
    Your best bet is as John has said use Schedule Plus (it is designed as an end user software package).
    If you don't have any C-Bus or Minder files it will be a very hard job because you will have no tag names in C-Bus only hex numbers and will have to try to download the minder config from the controller then try to work out what it is doing......(may be just easier to do a full reprogram if your wanting to convert it all to Schedule Plus) :(

Good luck.....:D

_____., Jul 4, 2006
  5. floripa

Graham Lamb

Hi John,Peter and Scott
    Not a bad gap stop it has been arround for nearly as long as CBus.
    CBus 1994/5 and Minder Mk1 1996/7.
    Minder has been an excellent product and Clipsal still do not have a single box that will do what Minder can do.
    Minder was very reliable if programmed correctly and would you believe that only today I went to Stadium Australia (Telstra Stadium) to make a slight change to one of the three Minders which have not been touched since they were programmed before the Olympic Games in 2000.
    Scheduler Plus and Color Touch Screen are good products and have features that Minder did not have such as user had Moore controll however if Minder was still around I would still be using it.
    This job you are talking about has no data base as the original programmer is no longer around I have quite a few jobs just like this so I upload the program from the controller and work it out it is a pain some times but not impossible.
    And don?t talk about PAC
    Regards
    Graham

Graham Lamb, Jul 4, 2006
  6. floripa

DavidS

I wish people would not bag something they don't know much about. As Graham has said the minder was a one stop box. Probably 1000's out there
    still running with less problems than some of the products available today.
    It is possible as has been said to get the information off the minder. You just need to contact someone with the experience. There are quiet a few of us with that experience.

Regards
    David

DavidS, Jul 4, 2006
  7. floripa

rhamer

Vive Le Minder!!!!

rhamer, Jul 4, 2006
  8. floripa

Conformist

Now I know what RB meant when he told me of your past posts...

Maybe stick to making posts about things you know.... It could get quiet around here!

Long Live Minder

Conformist, Jul 4, 2006
  9. floripa

PSC

For those of you who need questions answered (on any topic) go to -

www.justaskJohnC.com

A wealth of information :cool:

PSC, Jul 4, 2006
  10. floripa

ashleigh Moderator

OK, its getting personal, move along now, nothing more to see...

ashleigh, Jul 5, 2006
Ask a Question