Homegate With Wiser

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by chrisd4021, Jul 11, 2012.

1. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi Guys,

Im have a problem with a project which has been worked well for some time which has scenes on a wiser and 2 scenes on a PAC ( all off and all on) the PAC was originally added last year when wiser had problems with large scenes,but thats all good now in the new version, but i digress.

The customer has had home gate installed which seems to work great but if it's connected it disables the wiser and if the wiser is connected to the network the Homegate will not connect...

Any ideas?

Homegate 4.11
    Piced 4.11
    Toolkit 1.12

chrisd4021, Jul 11, 2012
  2. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Ok just read that back and i think i need to be clearer.

The wiser has 5 scenes with around 70 groups in each.
    the pac has 2 scenes with 70 groups in each.

From the Home gate i have buttons triggering the scenes on both wiser and pac, but i found that the scenes on the pac work as expected and the wiser would not respond. With the wiser switched off the home gate will connect to c-bus (showing green connection status 100%) but with the wiser on i get either network failed or amber connection status 100% and non of the wiser scenes can get triggered from the home gate screen.

Home gate and wiser work fine on it's own but not together.... I could always move the non responding scenes from wiser over to the pac or home gate but the customer will not be able to connect to the network via phone.

I'm assuming that you CAN run wiser and home gate together?

chrisd4021, Jul 11, 2012
  3. chrisd4021

Newman

It sounds to me like you are trying to use the Wiser as the C-Bus network interface for Homegate. This is not possible. The CNI that is part of the wiser can only support a single network connection at any given time. Normally this is the main Wiser unit. If you connect to C-Bus through the Wiser (or directly to the Wiser's CNI) this takes over the C-Bus interface and prevents the Wiser from connecting to C-Bus.

You need to use a separate C-Bus interface for both the Wiser and Homegate.

Newman, Jul 11, 2012
  4. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi,

Thanks for the response,Yes I think your right i'm connecting via the wiser but i'm not sure when you say "separate interface" how to do this?

Do you need 2 CNI's? or can you use a PC interface via USB?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
    chrisd4021, Jul 12, 2012
  5. chrisd4021

Darren Senior Member

You can use a CNI, a Serial PCI or a USB PCI. You just can't use Wiser's CNI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
    Darren, Jul 12, 2012
  6. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Ok Darren, thanks for the help.

chrisd4021, Jul 15, 2012
  7. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi All,

On the same subject and project we have fitted a PCI via serial-USB adapter to allow the home gate access as explained above.
    The problem we have is the network will not connect in tool kit or home gate.

scanning for a project in toolkit finds the PCI but fails to identify the project (so can't connect).If you try to open the network you receive "fail to reset unit".

The thing that puzzles me is the diagnostic utility works fine, it connects to the PCI and commands can be send and received successfully (groups switch on and off). I've also checked to baud rate of the comms port, but the fact that the the diagnostic appears to be working correctly would indicate the drivers and adapter are working correctly.

Any ideas?.

chrisd4021, Sep 13, 2012
  8. chrisd4021

Goran C Forum Member

Hi Chris

For the project in question have you confirmed that you have selected the correct USB Com port? When you right click on your network which has the USB PCI and edit network is it showing network type Serial and a COM (USB) port specifying the PCI?

Cheers Goran.

Goran C, Sep 14, 2012
  9. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi Goran,

Yes the network shows Serial on Com3 exactly the same as the diagnostic tool settings which work fine.

Whilst in toolkit you can scan the com ports and the PCI is found ( on com 3) but the scan fails to identify the project.

All of the above would lead me to think that the physical connection and usb- serial adapters drivers are working correctly.

I don't understand how if the diagnostic tool works the toolkit/home gate won't.

I have also tried a second PCI and swapped the usb-serial adapter, but had the same results.

chrisd4021, Sep 14, 2012
  10. chrisd4021

Darren Senior Member

Only one process can use the PCI at a time. Are you disconnecting the diagnostic utility before using ToolKit or HomeGate (via C-Gate) ?

Darren, Sep 16, 2012
  11. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I originally tried toolkit and home gate , then started with the diagnostic tool to check the connection, each time I have tried toolkit i've disconnected the diagnostic tool.

Just to make sure I have also done the standard turn it off and on again.

If the scan is finding the PCI what causes a project to be unidentified? thats the part which stumps me.

chrisd4021, Sep 17, 2012
  12. chrisd4021

jboer

Have you tried creating a new project and network then scanning for devices within that?

jboer, Sep 17, 2012
  13. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi,

Yeah i tried that with the same "unable to identify project". I'm not on site for a few days but wondered if it could be anything to do with Burden or clocks? which is just guessing.

We have 1 physical burden, and from memory 2 clocks.

Think i'm barking up the wrong tree, but running out of ideas now.

thanks anyhow

chrisd4021, Sep 17, 2012
  14. chrisd4021

Roosta

Just out of interest, what operating system is the pc running homegate?

Have the problems of the wiser scenes not working been resolved now?

Cheers..

Roosta, Sep 19, 2012
  15. chrisd4021

chrisd4021

Hi,

The PC is running XP.

I've asked the question of Tech support today so hopefully I'll get a response soon.

Re the wiser
    The wiser scenes i guess you are talking about a previous post where the wiser locked up?. yes this was a problem that the wiser had handling scenes with multiple groups (80+), but this was sorted a firmware release.

chrisd4021, Sep 25, 2012
Ask a Question